Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 6lb Borman sideloader  (Read 8598 times)

alwion

• Email
6lb Borman sideloader
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
Got a 6lb Borman sideloader at Franklin, appears to have a US fuse. Mentioned it to a friend, and he wondered with such a large opening in the top for the borman fuse, why was it side loaded instead of top loaded? or with a US fuse, was it drilled and then loaded( would seem dangerous). This may be something simple I just missed, but didn't see a reason in my books or my search of the forum.

Pete George

• Email
Re: 6lb Borman sideloader
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
The reason for manufacturing a Sideloader case-shot:
 When the Confederacy's supply of lead got so short that iron case-shot balls had to be substitued for lead ones, the usual method of creating a powder cavity inside the mass of case-shot balls wouldn't work. In lead ball case-shot shells, you simply drill down through the fuzehole with a large auger-bit, boring out a "well" for the bursting-charge powder down through the mass of balls. But you cannot drill through a mass of iron balls. The bit won't bite into the small iron spheres, and just breaks the iron balls loose from the matrix, or the bit jams.

So, some bright fellow in the Confederate Ordnance Department came up with the idea of casting case-shot shells with two holes... the usual fuzehole, plus a side-loading hole. Both of those holes are threaded. You put the end of a thick iron bar down through the fuzehole to the bottom of the empty shell. Turn the shell on its side, with the sideloading hole uppermost. Drop the case-shot balls into the shell until it is full. Pour a molten matrix (asphalt, sulphur, or (in the case of some Confederate manufacturers) pine-resin (pinesap). Let the matrix cool and harden. Screw a closure-plug into the sideloading hole. Pull the iron bar out of the fuzehole, and there's your powder-cavity.

I should mention, for lead sideplugs, you'd simply twist the end of a cylindrical lead rod into the threaded sideloader hole, and the soft lead rod would "self-thread" itself into the hole. Cut the lead rod off flush with the shell's surface, tap it flat, and you're done.

For many decades, it was believed that no Bormann-fuzed Sideloader Case-Shot were made. But then around the late-1990s (if I recall correctly), either our own Colonel John Biemeck or one of his close buddies in the Army of Northern Viginia Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team dug an intact Bormann-fuzed 12-pounder Sideloader and part of another one, somewhere near the Wilderness, if I recall correctly. I suspect it was most likely from the 1863 Chancellorsville battle overlap of that area, rather than a summer-1864 firing.

As I said, that was a 12-pounder. I've never seen nor heard of a 6-pounder BORMANN-FUZED Sideloader Case-Shot. Some "converted" 6-pdr. Bormanns exist, of course, having the copper CS Bormann-Replacement timefuze plug in them, not their original CS solder-alloy (not zinc) Bormann fuze.

Alwion, if at all possible, please provide us several well-focused closeup photos of the fuze in the 6-pdr. Bormann Sideloader you are reporting.  I know of some subtle ID-clues to look for which tell whether a Bormann fuze is US-made or CS-made, even when the time-index markings are obliterated.  Also if possible, please provide us with that shell's super-precisely measured weight. (Please use a digital Postal Shipping scale... that is very important.)

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 09:42:58 PM by Pete George »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:13:57 AM »
This may just turn out to be an interesting thread. Back to the comment about pine resin matrix. Never heard of that one but then again I'm still learning. How rare are those and are there any sectioned ones where you can see it. If you have one Pete, and if anyone does I'm sure you do, could you post a picture of it.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 08:56:47 AM »
Pete, I really enjoy reading your explanations of all things artillery.    8)

gandycreek

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:53 PM »
Pete, I really enjoy reading your explanations of all things artillery.    8)
Ditto !

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 03:44:59 PM »
Fuse is very hard, when we were discussing this at Franklin, Carl thought it was a US fuse, and it does not seem to be a soft solder fuse. It was disarmed through the fuse ( see photo) and the hole filled. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a digital postal scale and don't think it would be a great idea to take it into the post office, but on Grandmother manual postal scale( she was a postmaster and I got her scale, its 4 lbs 15 oz. these is some metal loss due to pitting. I believe it came out of the new york collection he just bought. you can see part of the sideloader threads maybe in the picture, the dissimilar metal looks to have popped after the shell was originally coated

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 10:35:10 PM »
Speedenforcer asked:
> "Back to the comment about pine resin matrix. Never heard of that one but then again I'm still learning. How rare are those and are there any sectioned ones where you can see it. If you have one Pete, and if anyone does I'm sure you do, could you post a picture of it."

Rarity: CS case-shot shells with pine-resin (pinesap) matrix to cement the balls in place are not rare. Many, perhaps most, 12-pounder Sideloader case-shots dug in Virginia have the pine-resin matrix. Although most CS Bormann-fuzed Case-Shot have asphalt matrix, I've seen a few that had pine-resin. I'll attach a photo of a sawed-in-half 12-pounder Sideloader at the end of this post. The Confederates did not have an endless supply of asphalt, nor sulphur, but they did have plenty of good ol' Southern pinesap.

Some of you have seen a pinetree whose bark got gashed and leaked a quantity of pinesap, which is honey-coloreed when fresh but tends to dry out to a very pale yellow color... a lot lighter shade than sulphur. The pine-resin matrix inside the sawed case-shot shells tends to look like you mixed some light grey paint into pale yellow paint. When you see it and a true yellow suphur matrix case-shot side by side, you cannot mistake which one is which. Compare the yellow sulphur matrix in the sawed US Bormann Case-Shot (24-pdr.) and the CS 12-pounder pine-resin Sideloader in the photos below.

I should mention... you want the matrix material you use to be a flammable substance. Both asphalt and sulphur burn easily... and so does pinesap.

Regards,
Pete

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
Gandycreek wrote:

>Quote from: pipedreamer65 on Today at 08:56:47 AM
>> Pete, I really enjoy reading your explanations of all things artillery.    8)

> Ditto !

Thanks, guys. Although my explanations are sometimes lengthy, I try to make them something that doesn't require an Engineering degree to understand and visualize. (I tell it like I'd like it told to me.)  Glad to hear that it's working, and entertaining.

Best regards,
Pete

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:14 PM »
  Alwion, I am sorry to have to say, in my opinion that Bormann-fuzed 6-pounder ball is not a Sideloader. Here are the points in my reasoning.

(1) No 6-pounder Bormann-fuzed Sideloader Case-Shots have ever been reported.
(2) Its fuze is definitely a yankee-made Bormann.
(3) The spot which kinda-sorta resembles a sideplug is larger than a case-shot's sideplug. To my eye, it looks like a form of corrosion we civil war shell collectors call a "saucer-pit."
(4) The precise weight you report, 4 pounds 15 ounces, means beyond any doubt that this shell is filled with lead case-shot balls, not iron ones. As I indicated in my first reply in this discussion-thread, if you've got lead balls, there is no need to go to the extra labor to make a Sideloader shell. You simply use an ordinary case-shot shell body and auger out a powder-cavity by drilling down through the lead balls and matrix.

This is why I requested that the shell's very-precise weight be ascertained and provided:
Weight of the 6-pdr. Sideloader (iron balls) Case-Shot shown on page 32 Dickey-&-George 1993 is 4 pounds 9 ounces.
Weight of the 6-pdr. US Bormann-fuzed Case-Shot (lead balls) shown on page 29 D&G 1993 is 5.0 pounds. Your shell weighs one ounce less than that.  Long ago I encountered a faked Sideloader 3" Read which felt too lightweight in my hand. Precise weighing proved it had no case-shot balls (either iron or lead) in it.  But let me say clearly, I am NOT saying your 6-pounder Case-shot is a fake Sideloader. I believe its miss-identification is an honest mistake.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:36:39 AM by Pete George »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:31:46 PM »
Pete, I am renaming you The Oracle.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:52 AM »
I was finally able to take better pictures of just the plug, if its not a sideloader, then it sure looks like a loader hole with threads and can see why we thought it was, you can see the ring almost all the way around, and what looks like threads on one side

alwion

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 03:39:13 AM »
w/o glare

callicles

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:00 AM »
Speedenforcer asked:
> "Back to the comment about pine resin matrix. Never heard of that one but then again I'm still learning. How rare are those and are there any sectioned ones where you can see it. If you have one Pete, and if anyone does I'm sure you do, could you post a picture of it."

Rarity: CS case-shot shells with pine-resin (pinesap) matrix to cement the balls in place are not rare. Many, perhaps most, 12-pounder Sideloader case-shots dug in Virginia have the pine-resin matrix. Although most CS Bormann-fuzed Case-Shot have asphalt matrix, I've seen a few that had pine-resin. I'll attach a photo of a sawed-in-half 12-pounder Sideloader at the end of this post. The Confederates did not have an endless supply of asphalt, nor sulphur, but they did have plenty of good ol' Southern pinesap.

Some of you have seen a pinetree whose bark got gashed and leaked a quantity of pinesap, which is honey-coloreed when fresh but tends to dry out to a very pale yellow color... a lot lighter shade than sulphur. The pine-resin matrix inside the sawed case-shot shells tends to look like you mixed some light grey paint into pale yellow paint. When you see it and a true yellow suphur matrix case-shot side by side, you cannot mistake which one is which. Compare the yellow sulphur matrix in the sawed US Bormann Case-Shot (24-pdr.) and the CS 12-pounder pine-resin Sideloader in the photos below.

I should mention... you want the matrix material you use to be a flammable substance. Both asphalt and sulphur burn easily... and so does pinesap.

Regards,
Pete

Wow Pete!! As always, thanks for the wonderful information!

Is it safe to assume that only CS case-shot (whether sideloader or otherwise) contained the pine resin, or did some Yankee-made Case-shot contain it too? I’m always interested in learning the different ways in which to distinguish CS-made Bormanns from US- made ones. Would the pine resin presence in Bormann case-shot be one of those ways?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:30:36 AM by callicles »

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »
Wow, that is a really round hole to be a defect.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
not to mix threads, but Mike once offered me a cut ball with pine matrix, and it was still a little stickey still and was  tar sap of a dark semi translucent color like old varnish, much darker than what pete posted, almost black. I inderstood it was a CS only thing at that time. and yes the hole is vcery regular on the ball and 13/16th all the way around, even where it is pitted farther out you can see a seam