Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 1.67" Canister Balls  (Read 5965 times)

redbob

• Email
1.67" Canister Balls
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:59:25 PM »
I am in need of ten 1.67" canister balls to complete an 18# canister, anyone out there got any that they would care to part with? Thanks

relicrunner

Re: 1.67" Canister Balls
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:53:27 PM »
just wondering, how many canister balls in an 18lb canister?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »
I think 27 -- 3 layers of 7 and a fourth of 6 because the central balls stack end to end and don't allow for a 7th on the final layer.

That is a very difficult size to find.  I understand there were only 4 or possibly 5 18pdrs used in the Civil War.  I have a few of the shot, but they are from Vicksburg which probably means they were fired out of one of the most famous guns of the war, "Whistling Dick."

http://trrcobb.blogspot.com/2012/01/whistling-dick.html

redbob

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:52:40 PM »
What I've got was dug near Vicksburg by Steve Mullinax, now I wish perhaps that  it was a 24#er as originally believed as I could probably get the balls for it; but hope springs eternal in the rustic iron world. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:08:43 PM by redbob »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
Wow.  Do you have both the plates also?  Post a picture if you do and can.  You and I may need to figure something out as I have 8 of the balls from Vicksburg.

This reminds me of a strange and curiously disturbing story:  2 or 3 years ago a fellow at the Franklin Show dropped a reconstructed canister round which shattered all over.  A couple of the balls bounced wildly and one went over the side and landed on a table on the lower level.  The dealer who had bought the reconstructed round was (several emotions but the politest to say is  "really confused" by this) until he noticed a couple of the interior balls were in fact golf balls painted black.  This explained the bouncing canister balls -- I guess someone should've yelled "fore" when the round smashed.  I just looked it up and golf balls are exactly 1.68" dia so I think you have an option here for the missing ones ;-)

I know who rebuilt that round of his, by the way, and just to set the record straight of course it was not our very own CanisterD nor any other forum member.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:21 PM »
Top plate  (w/ handle), bottom plate  and 17 balls. I see what I can do about the pictures. The golf ball idea is pretty tricky, however.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:37:10 PM by redbob »

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
I looked through my canister balls that I found at Selma and I have six balls this size. I have lots of smaller and larger balls. I think I have found 9 or 10 different sizes of canister balls at Selma. I would be willing to trade the six. Some are rough but they are the real deal. I'm going to Franklin.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:45:30 AM »
The partial 18# canister has now gone to someone who can complete it and give it a good home; however I must admit that the idea of using black golf balls to complete it did flash through my mind. Thank you to all for your input and suggestions.