Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Burst Cannon  (Read 2721 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Burst Cannon
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:25:16 AM »
Hello,

While at the Gettysburg Show, RelicRunner and I did a little hiking on the park.  I recalled a cannon that Jim T had pointed out to me on a previous visit so I took Jim to see it and got some images seen below.  (Shooting up from the ground to get the bottom view with the bright sunny sky in the background gave that image an odd look.)  It is a 12-lber that is split for nearly 2 feet down the bottom of the tube and has a bit of a flare much like you see with a shoulder arm that was fired and ballooned.   I presume this happened due to a shell exploding in the bore.  it wasn't quite enough to shatter the tube but did ruin it.  Most amazing to me is that it survived and wasn't used for scrap during a war drive or something.  Anyone know any history on this tube?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:26:57 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Burst Cannon
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
Carl, there is another thread here somewhere where I mentioned that cannon after taking the Tour de Thomas.  Someone chimed in recalling it had been damaged by shenanigans, Not in the battle.  That probably explains why it is still around, but leaving it there  naturally causes people to think it blew during the fighting.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Burst Cannon
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:37:59 PM »
Hmmm....Now that you mention it I seem to recall that.  Oh well....

Found it:
     http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1654
That was two years ago.  I barely remember 2015!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:40:56 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl