Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: civil war cannon retrieved  (Read 3251 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Selma Hunter

Re: civil war cannon retrieved
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:04:46 AM »
All,

While I am immensely proud of the fact that I could be there for the event (along with my good friend Catesby ap C. Jones and my son, Parker) the article misses the mark on several counts.  I am not an archeologist and except for my keen interest in the Brooke guns my part in the recovery was to get Catesby there to see the guns constructed under the supervision of his great grandfather.  FWIW, as of this Wednesday the Clemson/Lasch folks advised that the weight of S-46, the 7 in double banded Brooke rifle recovered there, carries a marked weight of 14,632 lbs.  We had been seeking that bit of data for several years.  Thank you Clemson/Lasch team!

The current issue of The Artilleryman magazine includes an article of about 10 pages which outlines the story of The Big Guns of Selma.  The winter and spring issues will detail what we know about the 18 surviving Brooke guns complete with photos.  Hopefully we will be able to add to this list in the future.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:33:47 PM »
thanks for all you do, Bill !!    You have definitely added to the data base of knowledge. It's appreciated !!  Now and in the future

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:41:00 AM »
  What Dave said. :)

VBR,
Pete

Dr. Beach

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:43:59 PM »
Very nice, Bill!  Congrats!  As you know, I have an interest in CW gunboats.  ;)

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 08:09:17 AM »
Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your kind words.  It is encouragement of this kind that keeps me plugging.  I have been very fortunate to have met and made so many great new friends through my research.  These same friends are the ones who have shared their knowledge and allowed me to try their patience so frequently over these past 13 or so years since the Selma Research Project began. 

I thank all of you individually and as a community of interest for your assistance.

FWIW, there is a gentleman who is quite well informed about the ironclad vessels of the CSN.  John Wallis of Kent, England has delayed the publication of his new book (I understand it will be definitive) but I have asked him to let me know when he is going to print so I can get an early copy.  John contributes to Civil War Talk forum on a regular basis last time I looked.

Anyone interested in the big Selma guns should get your hands on the two upcoming issues of The Artilleryman. 

Again, many thanks to all.