Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cast Sabot Markings  (Read 2610 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Cast Sabot Markings
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
Hello,

I recently added a 7-inch Mullane to my collection that has a number of symbols cast into the sabot.  The most notable is a large "2" but there is also an "A" and "H" on each side of the center hole..  See the picture below.   This weekend I picked up a 7-inch Brooke that had a large "A" cast into it.  Also of note is the word "Brooke" stamped into it which is nice.  What other letters, symbol or words have people seen stamped onto these type sabots?  Also, does this only appear on the 7-inch shells or have you seen it on 6.4-inch or other sizes?
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Cast Sabot Markings
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
I looked at the one of these 7" Tennessee sabots I have off the projectile and sadly there wasn't a marking of any kind.  I have some 6.4 and 7in Brooke ratchet disc sabots that have roman numerals etched in them as well as the word "BROOKE."  I known of other markings on those.  I get a kick out of these markings and assume they were manufacturing aids or inspector marks, but would be interested in other examples being shared.

alwion

• Email
Re: Cast Sabot Markings
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »
Have a partial 7" brooke with two outlined star's (double marked)  my other 7, my 7" tenn and my 6.4 are all unmarked