Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Anybody here in hurricane Irma's path?  (Read 7289 times)

Pete George

• Email
Anybody here in hurricane Irma's path?
« on: September 11, 2017, 01:38:41 AM »
  A relic-buddy told me today he spoke to CarlS, who said he spent the day putting up plywood over all his windows.  I'm a bit surprised that nobody here has had anything to say about Irma. Are there no forum members in its path?

divedigger

• Email
Re: Anybody here in hurricane Irma's path?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:42:06 AM »
I'm guessing they are busy with the storm

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:54 AM »
Speedenforcer is located in FL and as one would guess from his forum name, I am certain he is keeping busy being a first responder. Hopefully all  forum members thoughts and prayers are with all in the path of the hurricane, especially first responders who have to go to work to assist others, while leaving their own families to fend for themselves.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

R. J. in LA

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:16:05 AM »
Thoughts and prayers for all impacted by Irma and all that were and still are being impacted by Harvey.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:45:05 PM »
Yes, sorry to have been so quiet lately.  I did spend the weekend installing windows in a rental I'm renovating and generally readying that place and my house for what might come.  I'm in the path but nothing like well down south of Marietta.  By the time Irma got here she is just a very annoying old lady; not like the Wicked Witch that hit Florida and south GA.  People like TraderSean and SpeedEnforcer are certainly very busy at the moment I'm sure as they are down there in it.  The job pulls them away from family to be ready to help others at a time when I'm sure they prefer to be home.  Getting lots of rain here and periods of wind but not too bad.  Worse of it should be here in a couple hours but she is dying out fast and soon will be nothing more than a big area of rain heading up toward St. Louis.
Best,
Carl

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:19:09 PM »
From the State of Texas my Heart goes out to the people in Florida.   

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:35:28 AM »
Lots of rain and lots of wind but no issues for me.   But wow, what a mess for the coastal areas.  They, like the Texas coast, will be a long time recovering from what they just went through.
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
I have been at the jail since Saturday doing arraignments and was on duty for the whole circuit. We got hit pretty hard here at the beach, had 6 trees down 3 of which hit my house! Have roof damage in 3 spots and 2 palms and a large oak laying on my house. Adjusters out today and as I suspected just under 10k so of course they are not going to pay. So a quick question for the group, why the hell do we have Homeowners, windstorm and Flood if they never have to pay? Anyway if your around Jacksonville with a large chainsaw give me a shout. Gary

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
Gary: Will work for rare Civil War artillery shells!   

But seriously....sorry to hear about the damage but glad you and the family are ok.  I wouldn't think they would fight you too long.  Wouldn't be prudent!
Best,
Carl

gflower

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 09:04:23 PM »
Carl,
Thanks for the kind words. You'd be surprised at the lengths an insurance company will go not to pay! Good thing for me I have lots of lawyer friends. I've got heavy and light iron all over my house my attic my shed etc. not a single shell damaged thankfully. That being said our safety was paramont. I can cut a tree and fix a roof but can't fix broken bones or serious injuries! G

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:41 PM »
Greetings to everyone from Florida. Thank you guys for the kind words and prayers. God was merciful. No damage at my house. yard flooded. About got my patrol car stuck when I returned home. My family and myself was quartered at the fire department. While the family was there I was out in the rain and wind. Lots and I mean lots of flooding but nothing like Texas. No fatalities in my jurisdiction. We did have a gentleman get burned real bad and loose his home due to a fire. He was refilling his generator and it flashed over. face, arms upper torso 3rd degree burns and his home a complete loss. the generator was on the porch. The flooding has been drying up real fast. did have some apartments at a complex have some flooding about a foot of water in there home.

On a funny note I caused a vehicle crash today. Florida Law and I assume most states, it is requires that when the traffic signals at a intersection is out then the intersection is to be treated as a 4 way stop. on u.s. 301 which is a major road had the lights out, no one was stopping. I being in a marked patrol car and not wanting to have complaints coming in did stop. the pick up on my left in the inside lane decided oh crap I better do the same since there is a cop beside me so he slammed on his breaks. The semi behind him couldn't stop so, well you know. Thankfully no one was hurt. Again thanks for the thoughts and prayers. We are busy and haven't had a chance to check in until now. Going to sleep and will be back at it tomorrow. We have had more fights and domestic issues during the storm, guess everyone shut in, no electricity has been taking its toll and keeping us busy. P.S. Glad all is well with everyone. Prayers to the folks in Texas.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:53:53 PM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 08:46:15 PM »
Update. Things here seem to be getting near to normal. still some residents without power but it seems to have slowed down a little. Had time to have lunch today while on duty and shoot the bull with my sarge and chief for a bit.
Bryan, Thank you for the kind thoughts. I believe yall got it worse than we did or at least in North Florida anyway, so my Heart goes out to you guys. I have family in East Texas. they are ok.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

gflower

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 02:48:35 PM »
If the Tree Guys don't show today to take my coin and provide a service, will consider trading artillery shells for tree work! Any of you boys out there have a man lift and a few chain saws? GARY 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »
Sorry to hear that Gary, but that is exactly the sane number of trees and $s my Dad suffered through with Matthew so he got zip.   He doesn't have many trees left to fall on his house, but had a mandatory evacuation and so is here with me.  Reports are the flooding and other damage elsewhere near him did not get his place this time thank God.

Good luck folks!

gflower

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the update Mike. I am glad he is doing well and could get out in time. The boys got here later today and are about half way done. A good tree crew is fun to watch almost like a good framing crew, work,stop, think, work,stop, think. Have you got your dad hooked on Lou Malnati's yet? Hope all is well with you. Gary