Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: 30-lber Broun Bases  (Read 2910 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
30-lber Broun Bases
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:48:00 AM »
Hello,

I'm wondering if I could get some feedback from my fellow collectors?  If you have a 30-lber Broun can you tell me if it has a flat base or rounded base inside the sabot?  We sold one with a rounded base but the ones in Bell's heavy artillery book and the one I have in my collection all have flat bases.  The Brouns larger than 4.2-inch in the book all have rounded bases so I guess I'm also wondering if any large caliber Brouns have flat bases?  Thanks in advance!
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: 30-lber Broun Bases
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
The one I have in my collection came out of the Mobile area and has a rounded bottom.  It is of the type shown in Bell's book on page 199. 

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 05:51:18 PM »
  Carl, the answer depends on which version of 4.2"-caliber (30-pdr) Broun you're talking about. The 4.2" "Improved Broun" (Bell's page 199, found only in the Richmond VA area) has a perfectly flat base. The version shown on Bell's page 198, found only in the Mobile AL area, presumably made by Selma or one of its contractors has a somewhat rounded base... which more accurately would be called "low-convex."

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
Thanks guys.  Looking at page 198 my old eyes thought it was flat as was the one on page 199.
Best,
Carl