Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Help (please) with a Civil War Bormann Fuze Cannonball...  (Read 9651 times)

davebleedsblue

Re: Help (please) with a Civil War Bormann Fuze Cannonball...
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 09:58:24 AM »
LEO = law enforcement officer

Ohhh!  No, I'm definitely not.

I've been a New York Rangers fan since the early 90s, so it's a hockey thing :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:59:43 AM by davebleedsblue »
- Dave

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »
That's ok, I still like ya. LOL. I knew when you asked, that you wasn't. But bleeding blue is a slang we use.
I never gave it much thought that the Yankees would shoot exploding shells, using them as solid shot. Kinda gave the southern boys shells to throw back.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

davebleedsblue

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »
That's ok, I still like ya. LOL. I knew when you asked, that you wasn't. But bleeding blue is a slang we use.
I never gave it much thought that the Yankees would shoot exploding shells, using them as solid shot. Kinda gave the southern boys shells to throw back.

Haha good deal. I always use this screename.  It didn't occur to me - its potential other meanings, lol.

That being said - I was born in SC and though I've traveled and lived many places (and have taken a liking to various teams), the palmetto state is my home!
- Dave

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 11:52:38 PM »
I'm a LIBRA (Love Incredible Brooke Rachetbase Artillery)    ;D
Best,
Carl

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 11:02:41 AM »
I actually replied to your post on Reddit but glad you found your way here. These guys know much more than me!

I picked this up from a dealer today (owner was not there though) and had some questions if anyone can help. I sincerely appreciate it.  Here's what I know:

• Case shot w/Bormann Fuze
• Confederate Artillery round based on timing tick marks (looked this up online)
• 4.52 inches wide, which is consistent with being fired from a 12 pounder cannon
• Found on Secessionville Battlefield (June 16th, 1862) near Charleston SC

1) Is there any danger of it exploding?  The card said that there was no powder and only the case shot remained. When you move it slightly, you can hear the metal balls jangling around in there. I read that the powder was held in a space between the two halves with the balls, so since they're moving around... I'm hoping there's no powder?

2) Based on the case shot still being there, I assume this wasn't fired, but had a hole drilled to remove the powder. That's what it looks like anyway.  Is that correct based on what you see?

3) If it wasn't fired, is there a way this could've been fired as a solid shot without using the fuse?  Just wondering if there still a chance it was fired.

Thanks so much again for any help!

relicrunner

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
It was good to make a connection with you at the Marietta show. Glad you came out. Did you find anything there for your collection?

davebleedsblue

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2017, 03:55:39 AM »
It was good to make a connection with you at the Marietta show. Glad you came out. Did you find anything there for your collection?

Likewise!  Sorry for the delayed response here.  Admittedly, I traveled the 5+ hours for a musket, and luckily it was mission-accomplished.  I left with a few things:

- 1863 Springfield Type 1 (which is the most gorgeous weapon I've ever seen - dark walnut - here's some photos: http://imgur.com/a/0jjI6)
- M1855 Bayonet for above rifle
- 1864 Cartridge Box WITH the US buckle
- 1864 Cap Box
- Vietnam Era M7 Bayonet (only because the guy was selling it for comically cheap)

Thanks for the reply, and again - good seeing you guys.
- Dave

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 12:46:17 AM »
What a haul!  Well done!
Best,
Carl

davebleedsblue

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »
What a haul!  Well done!

Thank you sir!  It was my first CW Show. I plan on attending the Richmond and Franklin ones as well!
- Dave