Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate Iron case shot question  (Read 4037 times)

noonanda

• Email
Confederate Iron case shot question
« on: August 09, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
Gentlemen,
I have a question concerning Confederate Iron Case shot. Where I have been detecting Around chancellorsville, I have found case shots of varying sizes, all in the same area, some visibly smaller than others. some slightly larger than .69 cal.

Has anyone else seen this before?

here is a picture of some of them with a slightly flattened lead .69 Cal for size reference (it is slightly larger than .69 cal in the diameter shown in the picture) The 2 right side middle ones IIRC are just smaller than/ around .69 Cal, whereas the 3 above are much smaller, and the 4 lower left are larger.

more pictures can be seen here https://ibb.co/album/gWfZ1F
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 01:08:03 PM by noonanda »

Garret

• Email
Re: Confederate Iron case shot question
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 04:54:20 PM »
This is a picture of the iron case shot out of a 24 pounder I picked up from Harry.  The ball was recovered from Bermuda Hundred and he said he took every ball out of the shell (about 100 balls) when he restored it.  The case shot look to be identical to the ones you recovered from Chancellorsville.   Some are smaller than others and all from the same ball.   I didn't want to take all the balls out because it makes a mess with all the black powder remnants. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 06:21:58 PM by Garret »
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

PIA

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:22:21 PM »
I dug 167 of these in one day at an exploded Confederate ammo dump about 10 miles north of Vicksburg, MS.  They are nice finds.

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 06:21:45 PM »
CS case shot as well as canister were made in many sizes. Case shot were bigger in bigger projectiles. This photo if it comes through on this website shows some of the sizes and reassembled canisters from Selma that I found over the years.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »
I have many case shot from Wilmington, NC and they are in a full array of sizes.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 10:10:48 AM »
Are the different sizes found in a single projectile done on purpose (I.e, optimizing some sort of calculus of battlefield lethality) or out of necessity (I.e., just using what's available)?

noonanda

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:57:32 AM »
Are the different sizes found in a single projectile done on purpose (I.e, optimizing some sort of calculus of battlefield lethality) or out of necessity (I.e., just using what's available)?
I wondered the same thing myself

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »
I have always thought it was what was available to fill the can.  I have had a couple late war river find canister dug intact with varying shot sizes.  I had one from Savannah that also had nails and bolts in it.