Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Deja Vu All Over Again  (Read 6877 times)

divedigger

• Email
Re: Deja Vu All Over Again
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
you donate your stuff and thats what happens to it, somebody freaks out and blows it up

alwion

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:06:15 AM »
 >:(

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
I wonder if the contents of the tub in the article's picture were the aftermath of their fun with explosives.  If that was the before picture it looks like they blew up a James bolt to me although the image is a bit inconclusive (see below).
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:25 PM »
How is the Parrott fragment numbered 58 live?   Sounds like an excuse to destroy history. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Some of my brothers and sisters in blue are complete morons.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
That was my thought( well several of the above comments) guys watch out, now they are after your fragments to pulverize. those two on the left can't be live. we actually let people this stupid hand explosives? God help us

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
Ignorance is NOT bliss.  On my first day at work…

1) I didn’t have anything useful to do, such as do what taxpayers pay me to do such as help people find information, but instead decided to rummage around in the closets at my office.
2) I willfully destroyed thousands of dollars of my employer’s possessions.
3) I apparently got hysterical and called 911 for (in hindsight) questionable reasons.
4) I demonstrated a high level of ignorance, impatience and lack of reasoning which got picked up and broadcast by the National media making me, my employer and many of my city co-workers look foolish to a wide audience.
5) I showed no apparent effort to learn from my experience and, as far as we know, expressed no remorse for my hasty, ill-considered actions which led to irreversible consequences.

On day 2, she may actually do her job and in the course of it come across a copy of a book like Ulysses, the Bible, Green Eggs and Ham, Of Mice and Men, or Lolita.  I wonder if she will even pause to think of the irony that in many states and countries, those books and others like them were considered dangerous and banned and destroyed out of ignorance or worse.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:27:44 AM »
Letter send to Ms. Nolan and copy to the newspaper who published the story (apologies for borrowing text!):

Dear Library director Abby Noland

I collect Civil War projectiles. I have about 500 of them. So does the Smithsonian, the Gettysburg museum, and hundreds of other museums with Civil War history as well as thousands of private collectors. These projectiles are often found. There are many people who disarm them. The risk is as far we know, for the past 100 years, zero. There is not a single case of a Civil War shell exploding when handled, dropped, hit by bulldozers, rolled down hills, stored in closets, or anything else, unless it is drilled into by a metal drill. Those Civil projectiles are perfectly safe and valuable relics even with the original black powder still inside, and you should called around, and had someone disarm them for permanent display. That is what most people do. 

The most danger you faced was dropping one on your foot and breaking a toe, which is the same risk posed by a box of books.

Therefore, Ms. Noland:

1)   You willfully destroyed thousands of dollars of your employer’s possessions with great historical value.
2)   You and the local authorities demonstrated ignorance and lack of reasoning which was broadcast by the national media making everyone involved look foolish to a wide audience.
3)   Your hasty, ill-considered actions led to irreversible consequences, the loss of part of our nation’s history, widely valued across the nation by our museums and historians.

It is saddening, and a lesson to everyone to learn before acting.

Scott Jacobs
Atlanta, Georgia 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 07:47:44 AM »
Nice but there is nothing that can be done for the relics that are scrap now. Lets concentrate our efforts and see what we can do to save the cache located in Lawrenceville. maybe all the members of this forum could unite in a petition, if not to late.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »
Scott,

Clearly stated I must say!  Will be interesting to see if you get a response or just get ignored.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2017, 12:58:51 PM »
My wife's favorite phrase is "You can't fix stupid", and that certainly seems to fit this situation.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 03:01:02 AM »
Scott,

Did you get a response to your letter?
Best,
Carl

scottfromgeorgia

• Email