Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: matrix rareity  (Read 3289 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
matrix rareity
« on: July 09, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
which is more common tar pitch matrix or the sulfur I probably should already know this.
also while we are at it which is more rare on a Confederate side loader iron or lead plug. did they use a brass plug any? rookie questions I know.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: matrix rareity
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:35:37 PM »
For round balls the difference between sulfur and pitch matrix usage isn't drastic but I'd say from my experience there were more done with pitch than sulfur.

Regarding the side plugs in cannon balls, they used, in order of most common to least common, lead, iron and copper.  There were a couple types of copper but they are all uncommon.

Regarding the side loader plugs in rifled shells off the top of my head I'd say they were all lead.  I don't recall any other plug type used.  I'm sure someone will quickly correct me if I'm missing something I shouldn't.   ;D
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 12:51:18 PM »
thanks I wasn't sure but I knew you guys would set me streight

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 03:13:22 PM »
  I agree with Carl, all sideloader plugs in Rifle (cylindrical-bodied) shells were lead.

I also agree that pitch/asphalt is the most common case-shot matrix.

You asked "Did they use a brass [side]plug any?"  Yes, some Confederate Bormann brass underplugs were salvaged and used as sideloader plugs.  Those are slightly less rare than the copper sideplug.

About 3 years ago or so, Selma Hunter came up with a half-dozen 12-Pounder sideloaders from the river at Selma, which had a screwdriver-slotted brass sideplug, if I recall correctly. But I may be remembering wrong about the metal. If it was copper, I hope he'll speak up to correct me.  I think Emike knows for certain.

Regards,
Pete

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 05:35:40 PM »
Pete,

You had it right.  Beautiful little Brass & Brass 12 lbrs.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 08:48:26 PM »
Great info. Thanks.