Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Speed of Projectile  (Read 4029 times)

callicles

• Email
Speed of Projectile
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »
I'm writing a research paper regarding a battle where I intend to write something like this: Apparently not satisfied, the General "dismounted from his horse and gave some directions about sighting the gun," the witness recalled. Across the way, and at that very moment, a Union artillerist was doing the same thing and after the Yankee's gun-sight was set, and after the cannon's lanyard pulled, the resulting explosion sent a spiraling, percussion-fused projectile near the speed of sound towards the Confederate gun line."

I would like to know whether my referencing "near the speed of sound" is a reasonable description if the gun I'm describing is a 3" ordnance rifle firing at a target 350-450 yards away?

Thanks.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Speed of Projectile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
The short answer appears to be yes, you are correct in your statement:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2011/08/why-you-dont-want-to-break-the-sound-barrier/

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
Thanks. I was more concerned that it would be nowhere near the speed of sound. Looks by those numbers you gave, and given the right conditions, the projectile very well could have exceeded the speed of sound. I suppose it possible Soldiers on Civil War battlefields could've heard that "cracking" sound as the shell pierced the sound barrier....

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
There is also the upside of hearing the cannon fire.......if you are still healthy while hearing it, the shell missed you as the shell would have gotten to you before the sound of the cannon.  :)
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee