Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Mississippi Baby Belgian possibility??  (Read 3825 times)

R. J. in LA

Trans-Mississippi Baby Belgian possibility??
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:45:20 PM »
Opinions needed from the expert leadheads on this forum. While going through some bullets I had excavated more than 15 years ago at a site in central Louisiana which was part of the Red River Campaign, I noticed this bullet and wondered if it could be a Baby Belgian. It came from an agriculture field that has been farmed for decades and decades and any artifacts found are covered with tractor plow marks, as is this example. The dimensions are .575 D X .916L as best I could get from this dinged up bullet with a conical cavity and appears to be nose cast. As a side note, I found a Baby Hog or Hawg from this same field around the same time I excavated this bullet. So, am I dreaming or wishful thinking that indeed this bullet is a Baby Belgian or is it too beat up to tell or is this "just another 3 ringer". Thanks for any input.

ETEX

Re: Trans-Mississippi Baby Belgian possibility??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:55:43 AM »
R.J. - Been awhile since I posted but saw the bullet you posted and it looks to me like it could very well be a Baby Belgian. The dimensions are spot on with mine measuring .573 by .910 and the shape and distance from the top groove to the tip of the nose appears to have the same length and shape of the Baby Belgian.

R. J. in LA

Re: Trans-Mississippi Baby Belgian possibility??
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:00:57 AM »
Mike, good to hear from you. It's great to see your beautiful specimen of the Baby Belgian. Hope all is going well for you and thanks for taking a look and responding.