Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Danner Museum Shell  (Read 3755 times)

Garret

• Email
Danner Museum Shell
« on: June 23, 2017, 12:50:03 AM »
There was a previous thread about Danner Museum shells.  This one showed up on Shiloh Relics website.  Price is too steep for me, also don't collect Gettysburg relics:
http://shilohrelics.com/cgi-bin/display_item.asp?116033
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:52:06 AM by Garret »
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Woodenhead

• Email
Re: Danner Museum Shell
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »
My last book (2008) was Gettysburg Battlefield Relics. I have probably seen and photo'ed more of these than anyone else except Sam & Wes Small (i.e., The Horse Soldier). This ebay shell and the slanted writing on the wood block looks OK. Most serious Gettysburg collectors agree that Danner displayed actual shells from the battlefield as long as they were available. When the 'spring' ran dry, he replaced those shells with others from VA or even the western theater. Pictured below is one of his well known cards showing his iconic collection which we believe was for always sale. Note shell No. 10 on the second row down and to the left. Yes, it was a different 3 inch Hotchkiss (no lead sabot) identified on the back as "Confederate Hotchkiss." Apparently, as one sold, he tried to replace it with another of the same type.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:32:13 PM »
Yes, I have been told you need to be careful with these as a husband and wife team have been knocking out very good "copies".  For the record I am not knocking Shiloh Relics in any way with that statement.

I have a 34 marked one that is the # listed on the card as a "piece of an exploded shell."  Mine is most of the nose section of a 3" Schenkl case shot.  It does not have the wood base.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 05:49:12 PM by emike123 »

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 07:52:49 PM »
Your marked shrapnel has the 'feel' of the real thing. I imagine it striking one of the tall trees on Seminary Ridge and exploding down on Picket's men as the lay in wait of the order to advance. By all accounts, the excellent percussion fuzes of the Federal artillery played havoc with the Rebels massed on Seminary. Contrast this with the CS artillery fire using unreliable paper time fuzes causing most of the shells to sail far over the heads of the Yanks on Cemetery Ridge.  It think it was E. P. Alexander in his after-battle report who blamed those fuzes for the overall poor performance of the Confederate Artillery at Gettysburg. For several months, Girardey had a machine mass-producing his excellent percussion fuzes at Augusta and the entire Charleston theater had formally adopted them for heavy and field projectiles. But Col Broun would ask what did a bunch of Deep South red necks know?

Mike, I have a story to tell about your March posting of two new Mullanes you purchased. I believe I know who made your dug example and when. If you are interested, I'll open up that entry and add my photos and info.
W.H. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 08:24:52 PM »
Yes, my 34 marked Schenkl frag with partial combo fuse inside came out of Paul Hricz's collection.  He was a good friend to several forumites and is greatly missed.  Sadly Paul passed away a few years back.

Bring on the info on the Mullanes!  I look forward to learning something.