Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: NC Heritage Shipwreck Site  (Read 5079 times)

Selma Hunter

NC Heritage Shipwreck Site
« on: June 16, 2017, 08:22:38 AM »

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/north-carolina/wreckage-of-civil-war-ship-to-be-ncs-1st-heritage-dive-site/534128576

Looks like it might be interesting.  Anyone have any details on the wreck?

divedigger

• Email
Re: NC Heritage Shipwreck Site
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
not sure what details you are looking for, but as for what happened in 1864, the British steamer Condor loaded with supplies for the confederacy and with confederate spy Rose  Greenhow aboard steamed off Ft Fisher about 4:00 am trying to slip in New Inlet. It was a busy night and the blockade was on full alert. The pilot was nervous and ran aground when he came up on a previously grounded blockade runner, thinking it was a union blockade ship. The spy Greenhow got dressed and demanded to be put ashore. It was a bad night with a northeast wind blowing and the lifeboat capsized in the waves. Greenhow had a heavy leather bag around her neck and sank like a rock. The ship was doomed and Mrs Greenhow died. Her body was recovered on the beach later and Daisy Lamb, wife of Colonel Lamb, commander of Fort Fisher cleaned her up and prepared her for burial. She is interred in Wilmington.For the next few weeks confederates salvaged what they could from the wreck. I don't know anything about what is going on right now but will find out. I do know the people in charge are very nice and want people to enjoy their heritage and are making it possible to dive some protected wrecks. Which is a switch from past attitudes.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:21:03 AM »
Many thanks.  Wonder what the cargo was on the Condor?  Any records?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:13:13 AM »
The version I heard of this was Rose Greenhow had sewn 800 gold sovereigns into her petticoat which was why she sank like a rock.  300 were stolen from her body but later turned over to authorities by a guilty Confederate guard.  Confederates salvaged much of the Condor's supplies (the ship had run aground within the protection of Confederate defensive guns).

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »
my son and I just rode over and there are 2 buoys in place. Right straight out from the ranger station which was built behind 2 10" gun mounds and the Armstrong mound. All of these mounds are just sand dunes now, but a long time ago Wilmington Mike pointed out the remnants of these mounds and others. Hurricanes have evened them all out.The wreck was used for target practice by the Armstrong gunners. The wreck was carrying quartermaster supplies. Col Lamb said the captain sent him some "toys"

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 07:15:07 PM »
Dave,  did you dive on it ??  I heard it is wide open, you don't even have to 'check in ' with anybody

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 09:26:14 PM »
No

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:49:59 AM »
I've seen some large brass padlocks recovered from the Condor years ago.  I'm sure the wreck has been picked clean.