Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Battlefield Visitation.  (Read 3711 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Battlefield Visitation.
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:43:16 PM »
We all know that it was very common for veterans of the war to visit "their old stomping grounds" but I was curious is there any documentation or personal beliefs about the VIP's such as General R. Lee, Gen. J. Longstreet, Etc. Etc. returning to the fields for reflection or remembrance.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Garret

• Email
Re: Battlefield Visitation.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:37:22 AM »
There's this wonderful article on James Longstreet visit to Gettysburg in 1888 that I recall reading on John Banks' blog.  I was moved by it. 

http://john-banks.blogspot.com/2017/01/no-man-more-honored-longstreets-1888.html
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:57:50 PM »
Yes very interesting. Sad on one hand but nice to see old enemies together as friends. Link saved. Did Lee ever visit any sites, I don't believe he did. I think he didn't want to remember at all. which understandable. He bore a great burden I think. I think he often thought of the young lives lost in that war, both sides.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:49:30 PM »
No, there's no account of Lee revisiting a battlefield.  I think between running the university and balancing his delicate health he had no desire to do so.  I think the closet he got to a battlefield was on is deathbed when he reportedly ordered AP Hill to bring his troops up and later to strike the tent. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain