Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Port Hudson 3 inch Read Bolt  (Read 8425 times)

rommack

• Email
Port Hudson 3 inch Read Bolt
« on: May 02, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
I recently dug this 3 inch high sabot Read Bolt at Port Hudson.  It is the first of this type I have dug.  Thought you guys might enjoy a picture of just how bad the base flaked when it was fired.  It also shows a good view of the way the sabot attaches underneath the base knob.
Ronnie

alwion

• Email
Re: Port Hudson 3 inch Read Bolt
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:44:13 PM »
like it

R. J. in LA

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »
That's a nice find Ronnie!!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 08:05:19 PM »
Rare son-of-a-gun!  Is that sabot attachment the type where the copper is cast around a square post?
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 08:37:06 AM »
Carl, The best I can tell is the sabot is cast around the base of the knob . I can not make out any square post to the base.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 11:51:49 PM »
On some of the Read shells the upper part of the recess around the base knob is of a square shape to prevent the sabot from slipping.  It looks that way from your image but I can't tell for sure.
Best,
Carl

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 12:57:13 AM »
  I believe you are correct, Carl... it's a "square-post" baseknob Read, as shown on page 255 in the Dickey-&-George 1993 book.  As expected on this "cleaned" projectile, the rust-encrustation is missing from the exposed corners of the square post, and present on the flat sides of the post.

Regards.
Pete

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:38 PM »
Is it possible to tell if it had a lathe dimple in the bottom? That would help date its manufacture. In Virginia, there were no lathe dimples until mid-Feb. or early March 1862. It doesn't appear precision lathes were used by Deep South foundries until April 1862. Identical 3-inch Read bolts were sent to Virginia in early 1863 and are primarily found at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. I believe most or all were made in Alabama. The sabots were placed in the sand molds and the hot iron carefully monitored as it was poured.
Woodenhead

rommack

• Email
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:09 AM »
There is a Lathe Dimple in the base.   This Bolt would have been fired in May or June 1863 at Port Hudson.  Ronnie

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
Thanks. I like these bolts and the matching shells because they are true Read projectiles. Dr. Read had the mold patterns and sabot stamping dies made to his specifications while visiting Quinby & Robinson in Memphis during Dec 1861 and Jan 1862. He was there as a civilian agent of the Ordnance Bureau's Mobile office ordering cannon carriages and associated items. There are multiple invoices showing he had Quinby make the patterns and a side note says they are to be taken elsewhere to produce his shells. Other correspondence shows he personally arranged production in Mississippi and Alabama. Beginning in February 1862, they were made in 3 inch, 3.3 inch and 3.67 inch calibers. With their pronounced base knobs forcing the propellant charge laterally into the interior of the high-band bearing surface, driving it hard into the rifling grooves, they were the best Read shells ever made! And yet, it seems pretty obvious his work was completely ignored by Richmond where they mass-produced the horrible Mullane shells, instead. When Richmond finally recognized the value of the copper cup sabots in August 1862, they once again ignored Read's carefully crafted design and instead copied Parrott's cone-shaped version with a base-chipping top and far more limited bearing surface designed to be driven forward into the rifling grooves. A true Read like yours had a rolled copper sabot formed in a die. Many of the Virginia Reads used rigid cast copper cups. Evidently, there was no central brain trust at the Richmond Arsenal paying attention to such mundane matters that were of critical importance to the soldier on the front line. When you read the letters of Cmd. John Brooke, he has nothing but distain for the Army ordnance officers associated with the Arsenal. Brooke completely separated the design and production of CS Navy projectiles. Dr. Read suffered the indignity of being at the Montgomery Arsenal to set up their workmen with his patented patterns when drawings arrived from Richmond of the new regulation projectile for field artillery - the copper disc Tennessee shell. It is no wonder he disappeared from the CS radar screen after that, hopefully enjoying a well deserved retirement in Tuscaloosa.
So Rommack, pardon the overkill discussion, but I feel a little tingle somewhere personal whenever I see one of Dr. Read's own. There is no question in my mind that ammunition boxes filled with these superior projectiles in 1863 on those two bloody ridges - Seminary and Missionary - would have turned the thing around. Today, we'd be pulling down a different set of statues.

Note on the photos: the back view among the previous 3 pics had no lathe dimple. The off-center hole is a air bubble. The 3 inch bolt, sent now, was dug in VA with no lathe dimple. That indicates they were made no later than the spring of 1862. Note the jar-lid shape of the missing sabot. These projectiles from several Deep South foundries remained in storage in early 1863 to be sent to Port Hudson and Virginia because the Army of Tennessee's artillery was ordered to obtain their projectiles from the Georgia arsenals. The final full color base view shows a typical 3-inch Read shell fired during the May 1864 Wilderness. Like so many VA Reads, the sabot is cast brass milled down to thin out the bearing surface. Like so much of their field ammunition, there is hardly a trace of rifling in the sabot. What a screw-up.     

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 11:26:34 PM »
Mike,

Wonderful information.  Thanks for taking the time to share with everyone.

I do, however, object to the "mass-produced the horrible Mullane shells" comment.  Now I must admit that like an Archer they weren't the most ideal round to be firing if I were a soldier but as a collector I'm glad they made them!  I really like collecting field caliber Mullanes.

I can't wait until the book comes out.  It will provide a wealth of information.  Thanks again.  I hope to see you in Richmond.
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 08:29:42 AM »
Wow ! What great information . This is the first one of this type Read I have seen from Port Hudson, someone else might have dug one that I don't know of. I hope to find another one in this area as I am sure they fired a number of these bolts.    Ronnie

callicles

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 08:56:39 AM »
Great information, Woodenhead!  Does the information you provided above apply only to "square" post Reads or does it apply to any Reads with lathe dimples?  The reason I ask is that I found a 3" Read and just wanted to know if your information might apply to mine so that I could add your information to the description of mine. Thanks!

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
Hi Carl,
Yes, if I was speaking from my own point of view, "lovely" would have been the proper adjective. Right now I have two beautiful 3-inch Mullanes on hold from Harry Ridgeway. One is a flush-bolt type, the other a long Mullane with part of the wooden dowel remaining. Only $600 each. Seem to me they sold for $1,000 or more about 10 years ago. I'm not complaininjg!

I have had the pleasure of digging three Mullanes in VA. One was a perfect flush-bolt type from Chancellorsville. Another came from a CS 1862-63 winter camp at Fredericksburg. It is located along Mine Road passing thru the rear areas of the fighting. It was the highest ground where the CS Whitworth(s) were stationed and I had found VA buttons around some obvious hut sites. While looking for more with Pete George, I hunted a shallow ravine on the adjacent hillside. I got a blasting reading and looked down to see the nose of the most perfect 3-inch Read shell sticking out of the leaves. Already a shell lover, I could hardly get my breath as I searched some more and immediately dug a Dyer and a Mullane. Pete was hunting about 50 yards away and I knew he would want to see these shells right away, so I interrupted him and showed him the ravine and shells.

Needless to say, he was about as excited as we diggers ever get - you know, somewhat glassy-eyed and hands twitching. He plugged in and jumped into the ravine just below where my 3 shells had just been found. He was a very good friend, the 'best' really, but even friendship has its limits. It was like I had confided that my girlfriend/wife was especially good in the sack and he jumped under the covers. Without hesitation, I blocked his progress. He looked somewhat confused when he removed his earphones but accepted my declaration of ownership of all the ground within 30 yards. Maybe the relic Gods punished me because afterwards I found nothing else of note.

I have so many pictures I can't resist sending a few more. I believe this was one the 3-inch Mullanes made in Alabama in early 1862 after the drawings arrived from Richmond in Feb 1862. At that time they were making equal numbers of bolts and shells and a limited number of both were sent to Virginia for the Peninsula Campaign. The Montgomery Arsenal was a bit confused but announced for the time being they would make both Reads and Mullanes. Dr. Read's instructions for his 3-inch shells called for copper fuze plugs. Example have been dug in Deep South sites with this same plug I believe to be drive-in. The Horse Soldier has one of these Mullanes for sale right now for about $700. Original sabot and bolt intact and nice copper fuze plug but repair has been done on the iron body. The three pics included do not show that shell but it is the same type.

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
To Callicles,
There is no connection between the obvious wedge cuts in the Port Hudson 3-inch Read bolt and the later square post sabots and those marked "Blakely," Look at Read's original patent drawings and the written description. He called for those wedge cuts in 1856 to help secure it from rotating independently and also to limit the crimping of the wrought iron when it was struck into the cup form. Remember, all official Read sabots were supposed to be iron until the inventor declared the switch to high copper brass at the end of 1861. Quite a few of the later Read sabots made by others were also shaped but the wedge cuts on ones like the Port Hudson bolt are right out of his patent drawings. Read suggested the option of holes in the upper sabot for the molten iron to pass through and secure the cup and these are also seen on some Reads and Read-Parrotts. Of course, these cuts and holes were more important for his heavy projectiles like the 24, 32 and 42 pounder rifle shells he already had the Deep South foundries making in 1861.

An examination of correspondence between the arsenal commanders and invoices suggests the square posts and most of the innovations seen in the Deep South field projectiles came later from Raines and Girardey at Augusta. During the winter of 1863-64 they conducted extensive studies of the performance of fuzes and field projectiles at their Sand Hill range. They even tested the Virginia 3-inch Reads and Broun fuzes. There are many field reports of Augusta's experimental sabots, shells and fuzes from places like Charleston and Chattanooga. No similar interest was ever demonstrated by anyone at the Richmond Arsenal. Col. Broun ignored their reports and personally stopped the excellent Girardey percussion fuze (about 15 cents each) from being used in the Virginia theater while he slowly developed his own Broun concussion fuze (more that a dollar each) which worked no more than half the time. Field tests showed the Girardey effective more than 90% of the time. The Girardey was ready for widespread distribution at the start of 1863. Broun's fuze was first issued in the spring of 1864. Once Gorgas became aware of Broun's incompetence, the Broun fuzes were quickly withdrawn and the Girardey employed. If only we had used them at Gettysburg. I am planning an article for Jack along the lines of "How Col. Broun Lost The War."

The enclosed photo shows a 2.9 inch Read-Parrott dug by Harry Ridgeway in the Shenandoah Valley. Probably an 1862 site rather than 1864. Note the 3 holes in the iron sabot allowing the iron to pass thru. This was included in Read's 1856 patent. When Dr Read was setting up the Deep South arsenals to make Reads in early 1862, he mentions that he has been asked to do the same for the Parrott projectiles.