Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: New Orleans Begins Removing Statues Commemorating the Confederacy  (Read 5096 times)

24thMichigan

Re: New Orleans Begins Removing Statues Commemorating the Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Very sad when a nation disavows it's history in the name of political correctness. 

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
Going to get worse. Funny how the article says something about being tolerant but I guess that tolerance is not extended to those who care about the history and the memory of its ancestors.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »
Maybe they'll end up in a better place for those who want to view them.  The article did say "The city said it raised more than $600,000 in private funding to relocate the statues." so it appears they have the resources to put them in a good place.  Glad no violence happened.  That would have just fueled the move to remove them everywhere.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
If anyone here is buddies with Mitch Landrieu, please let him know he can relocate the statues to my backyard for free, thereby saving some of the $600k for better uses.

This is a topic which is a very slippery slope and could cause a lot of politicized debate so probably best to focus on the "what's happening?" aspects here vs. our varied opinions.  That said, a month or so ago I was flipping through the tv channels and came across this speech which I found provided some interesting context and a thoughtful perspective.  I know everyone will not agree with it, but here it is for the sake of informing:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?423748-1/controversy-civil-war-monuments-memorials

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:25:30 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing. 
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:33:01 AM »
Mike, thanks for sharing the C-span link.  I watched the entire video and was enlightened and educated by Ms. Coleman's lecture.   
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 09:13:07 PM »
Ramping-up in Dallas now. Lee Park is one of the finest equestrian poses of Marse Robert.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »
Once they are done with the Confederate stuff, they going to move on to the Founding Fathers.  Bank it....