Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Absterdam  (Read 2411 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Absterdam
« on: April 27, 2017, 07:26:42 PM »
     Interestingly, I had a 3 inch brass sabot Absterdam shell cut in half to remove the super rare Absterdam paper time fuze adaptor {Jones page 110 }. . When I got the shell back, much to my surprise, it was case shot. Very, very small balls in a Sulphur matrix. Had a perfect formed powder cavity, with no trace of ever having powder in it. Yet the fuze was screwed down all the way. This is the fuze with the eight holes to use the Taylor fuze igniter tin hood with.  And also, being case shot, it should have had a small hole at the end of the brass fuze adaptor to help contain pressure for a light powder charge to burst the case shot shell. Yet, it was wide open,  as a typical shell would have.     
    Just a couple unusual things; no powder-  yet it has a formed cavity, no Taylor hood - yet the fuze adaptor that accepts them installed, case shot with the 'wrong' fuze adptor type and I didn't even know there were case shot Absterdam's out there.

Pete George

• Email
Re: Absterdam
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:19:46 PM »
  That is interesting news, Dave.  Thank you very much for the well-detailed report.

Regards,
Pete