Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Relic Hunting in Culpepper County VA with a Fisher F 75 LTD - is it possible?  (Read 8759 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
I've got the opportunity to relic hunt outside Culpepper VA in October in soil that is "not the hottest in Virginia, but is somewhat hot".  Being a relic hunter from the deep south, my detector of choice is a Fisher F 75 LTD.  I understand there are great detectors for hunting hot dirt, but for one trip I can't justify the expense of a TDI, Minelab, etc.  And this will be the first time I've ever hunted in this part of Virginia so I am really looking forward to the trip.  Do any of you guys (and gals) hunt in norther VA with a Fisher, and if so, do you have any tips for "hot dirt"?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer a novice to this part of the world. 

Dave the plumber

• Email
  Love to help you, but I never hunted up that way. I'm surprised nobody on the forums responded..........

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
I too, like Dave, wish I could help.  I've not hunted in Virginia but a few times and never as far north as Culpepper.  The ground was not bad that I recall anywhere I hunted.  Also I have only owned a Whites and Tesoro brands all the years I've hunted.  Except for an occasional try of a Fisher 1266 I've not used a Fisher much.  I did like them fine and felt they were a good all around machine but as I hunt principly artillery I've stuck with the Whites for the greater depth.  Also I've not ever used one of the newer Fishers.

Since no one has come up with any input for you I'll give you my mostly worthless opinion:  As you know the biggest thing is getting out there and putting a loop on the ground.  I'm pretty sure the Fisher can handle any ground as well as most other non-PI detectors you might use there.  If you've hunted in northern Alabama or Georgia you've probably hit those iron ore pockets that I'd suspect are are least as bad as anything you'll find up there.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  We'll be there in spirit anyway!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:26:33 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
   you could also pose the question on the ' treasure depot ' forums. They are very active in participation, I bet someone there will have the answer you seek

misipirelichtr

• Email
Thanks guys, for the time taken to provide "moral support".  Its one of the reasons I enjoy visiting this forum on a daily basis - folks here really do want to help folks out whenever they can.

I have tried a couple of other venues, with only limited feedback.  Not sure if that is a sign that most folks that hunt northern VA use detectors other than Whites, or just that the holiday weekend is not the best time to post.  Best advice I have received is to turn discrinimation way down and dig all solid signals.  So, that is the current game plan.

I've tried most brands of detectors over the years, but keep coming back to Fisher.  Most of my CW collection was recovered with the 1265 or 1266 - but if I had owned the F 75 LTD back in 1987 when I started relic hunting I can only imagine the relics I would have recovered.  At least in some soil types, it is that good.

And I will report back on the hunt.....hopefully with a photo or two!

jimmy

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Sorry, I missed the original post.

My digging partner uses an F-75 all the time on the DIV hunts in and around Brandy Station.  He does very well.  Back in the spring he dug a US and a CS plate.  As long as you really know your machine, you'll do fine.  PM me if interested, and I'll ask what settings he uses.