Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: bullet molds  (Read 2892 times)

alwion

• Email
bullet molds
« on: April 16, 2017, 11:51:26 AM »
I have a special needs son who a few years ago took an interest in metalwork like blacksmithing. then he wanted to cast metal, and since brass and iron were no feasable, decided to do some bullets, and started to picj him up some molds. He's smart, and I would like to teach him something that interests him, but I don't know much about bullets, but bought him some molds to play with. I believe they are all old. any help, corrections, or comments welcome, I do have mason and mckees book. may make 3-4 posts, as a couple are oddballs and want to include pictures

to start with
1. is there a chart for ID vs caliber?
2 do numbers on the mold mean anything?

round ball single                     130 on handle and sprue cutter made in handle                           .343                     36 cal?
round ball single                     some attempt at scallop decorating                                            .295                      30 cal?
round ball single                                                                                                                .445                 44 cal pistol or 45 cal rifle?