Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bullet surface finds  (Read 4146 times)

Lsteed90

Bullet surface finds
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
Hey! I'm new to this site. It was recommended by several people in a civil war identification and collectors group on Facebook. I am new to hunting artifacts and have recently found some bullets on 2 sites I look for arrowheads on. If anyone can help me identify these or give me any kind of info to start out  I would really appreciate it! - Lindsay (Mississippi Delta)

divedigger

• Email
Re: Bullet surface finds
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 06:16:29 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum. I'm no bullet expert but I am a digger and see this stuff regularly, sort of. The first picture appears to be a musket ball, the second is most likely a shotgun pellet and the third looks like a thing I found once and was told it was "not much to it". But I don't know. Somebody that does know will eventually weigh in and hopefully satisfy your curiosity. There are some experts here and they are very helpful.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 10:04:25 PM »
Hello again, I m the one who directed you to this site from facebook. that dark colored one looks more modern to me in this bigger picture, looks like a copper jacketed bullet. but the one round ball is nice.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
And the professionals will be chiming in real soon, trust me.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 04:29:29 PM »
  Welcome to the Civil War Projectiles forum, Lindsay.  :)

I'm one of the ol'timers who hangs out here.  Although digging and dealing cw artillery projectiles are my specialty area of relic study, I was a cw bullet digger and (small time) bullet dealer for about 40 years.

As you'll see if you spend some time reading back through the previous posts in the Bullets forum, super-precise measuring of a bullet's diameter, and weight, are generally necessary for determining the bullet's correct identification.  That requires precision measuring tools such as a digital caliper, and a Jeweler's Scale.

Precise measuring is particularly neeeded for roundball identification... because there are so danged many kinds of round (and round-ish) lead balls.  For example, the larger lead ball you posted could be a musketball, or an artillery canister-ammo or case-shot ball.  The latter tends not to be perfectly round... aka a "true sphere."

According to the book written by fellow forum members Jim and Dean Thomas, "A Handbook Of Civil War Bullets & Cartridges" -- a .69-caliber musketball is within a few hundredths-inch of .648" in diameter and weighed about 408 grains.  A .54-caliber musketball is within a few hunderedths-inch of .536 in diameter and about 221 grains.

You'll notice that muzzle-loader bullets are a little bit smaller in diameter than the gun's caliber.  However, breechloader bullets tended to be a bit larger than the gun's caliber.  For example, a .52 Sharps Breechloader Rifle bullet ranged from .538 to .560-inch.  Also, revolving-pistol bulets (including balls) are within a few hundredths-inch of .464" and weighed about 138 grains.

Based on comparing your lead balls with the quarter in the photo, I agree with Divedigger, suspecting the larger one is a .69 musketball, and the smaller is a .32 buckshot.  It can be very difficult to accurately distinguish a civil war buckshot from "later" ones.  What most of us tend to go by is the amount of patina (white or white-ish lead oxide) on the buckshot. Civil war buckshot was made of pure lead, and "later" buckshot was/is made of hardened lead.  Pure lead tends to develop thick white or white-ish patina from a century out in the weather, and hardened lead tends to have a thin dull grey-ish patina.

Your third object seems to have a lot of rust on it.  There were very-very few iron/steel bullet, and none in the civil war.  The object might be a steel-jacketed 20th-Century bullet, or a steel arrow-point.  I am not an expert about such things, so I might be wrong about your third object's ID.

Again, welcome to the forum.  We hope to hear more from you.  A major part of this forum's purpose is to provide helpful educational information to diggers and collectors... especially those who are new to the hobby.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 09:25:24 PM by Pete George »