Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Krupp?  (Read 2508 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Krupp?
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
Can anyone positively ID this shell?  I think it is a Krupp, possibly 120mm.  It is about 5" diameter across the lead waist at the widest, a little smaller across the iron.  I used a ruler, not calipers, but can more accurately measure if needed.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Krupp?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »
Mike,

See attached a document that I got from the late and sorely missed John Bartleson.   He was helping me ID positively a shell like I was drilling and, more importantly, to confirm it contained black powder.  Being a post war shell one has to be real careful that they don't have HE (High Explosive) charges in them but these had black powder.  I drilled it no problem.  There is also a very good writeup on this in John Biemeck's book.  He included it even though it is post war as many were sold via Bannerman's and they get confused with Armstrongs since they are lead jacketed.   John Biemeck refers to it as 4.75-inch.  One reference I have shows it to be a 120MM.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Krupp?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Here is another document that depicts the shell version of the profile like the one you show.  I might add that John Bartleson had a contact in Germany who was an expert on Krupp that he got some info from.  This document is from that person.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:54:43 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl