Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Schenkl sabot  (Read 2687 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Schenkl sabot
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:49:53 AM »
 I picked up a cool dug 3  inch Schenkl with a lot of remains of the paper mache sabot still on it in the large collection I got last weekend.  Sold the shell, but I still have a chip of the paper mache. I was wondering if anyone would have interest and access to a lab that has an instrument that could analyze the content of the paper mache to see what it really is.
    As we all have read, the CS labs could never duplicate the material successfully. I wonder if it is actually just plaster of Paris. So, anyone wanting to explore this, I will happily send them the chip

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Schenkl sabot
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »
I have a complete Schenkl sabot that slides off the shell that I got from your buddy Mark M.  Here is a link to a high resolution photo of it I was hoping people could zoom in on but that seems limited:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff458/emike123/DSCN9922_zpserhwwcad.jpg

It is definitely not made of papier mache like we made in Kindergarten with flour paste and newspaper, but I don't think it is plaster either.  There are fine hair-like fibers in it and it has an almost cardboard feel.  Reminds me of modern day pasteboard.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:30:25 PM by emike123 »

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
Materials (such as plaster) used to have horsehair put into them for strength, much like the fiberglass threads in modern fiberglass.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:44:18 PM by redbob »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
I don't but I will see if my Chief has a connection with the FDLE lab.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.