Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 8757 times)

alwion

• Email
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 05:40:03 PM »
"It could knock out windows. You would not want to be an individual holding one of these things because it could knock you out," Mann said.

"If you find one, you got to destroy it," Mann added.

This all happened as the task force was working to get the museum back open again. They’re hoping to get permission from the city to have the museum open again within two months.

this pass's stupid on all levels

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 05:46:27 PM »
Morons. Me thinks they just like the publicity cause aint no one that stupid, oh wait, yes they are.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
yeah that's pretty funny

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
anybody that finds one can let us know and we will be glad to destroy it for you so you wont have to

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:32:30 PM »
They don't say who this H. Edward Mann clown is.  He is clearly a complete idiot. Was he one of the numerous homeless people wandering the streets of Petersburg when the media rolled in?  Sure sounds like he needs to be committed.  What a moron.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:07:05 PM »
ha ha ha ha ha ha! Be nice

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Actually H. Edward Mann looks like he is likely not homeless:
     http://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/h-edward-mann
He looks to be well connected, into history and must be somehow associated with the museum.

That said why doesn't anyone ever think to perhaps save the relic rather than blow it up?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:36:53 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
In thinking about ways for lobbying for the saving of these and other such finds I'm not sure what the answer is.  The government agencies aren't set up to do disarming; only knocking a big hole in it with a shape charge.  If a private person were to volunteer to disarm they would be setting themselves up for a visit from the government which I think most people would agree is more likely to have negative outcome than positive.  In the government's eyes, you would need special permits at a minimum for this type of work and they certainly (correctly) wouldn't allow it in a home or neighborhood.  So I'm not sure what the answer is.  I suspect we just have to understand this is going to happen whether we like it or not.  Other thoughts?
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 07:20:28 PM »
let 'em have their fun, it ain't like there is a shortage

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »
Dive, I respectfully disagree. No historical artifacts should be destroyed regardless of availability. and 2nd, I am sure more than once in history a rare shell has been thoughtlessly destroyed in the name of public safety, as stupid as its sounds.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
You can't fix stupid.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »
good points,1st rule of archaeology is do no harm, fixing stupid has been a project of my wife for years and it ain't helped me :)

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2017, 08:58:26 PM »
that reminds me of a time long ago when I first started digging, one of my friends, we will call him Birdman had a live shell that he wanted disarmed so he naively took it to the Sheriffs office to let the bomb squad disarm it. The man behind the desk said they don't disarm shells for civilians, they take them and destroy them. He said no way, he knew a guy that would disarm it so he took it and left. When he got to destination the Sheriff's Dept were there waiting on him. They took his little shell and  a solid shot he also had and carried it to the Marine base and destroyed them both. Damn huh?

Garret

• Email
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 07:16:34 PM »
Never been to the museum but shouldn't the Petersburg Siege Museum have at least a couple hundred pieces of artillery that was fired during the actual 9 month siege?   ;)
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain