Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Walking in Memphis  (Read 4067 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Walking in Memphis
« on: March 05, 2017, 04:53:39 PM »
I stopped by the Memphis show yesterday morning.   I had gone to this showabout 7 years ago when it was at another location, and I toldmyself I would never return.  But circumstances were such that it seemed worthwhile, and I must say the show was improved.  It is still a smallish show, but different folks you don't otherwise get to see often set up at the "Western" shows.  It was fun to see them and I picked up about 10 things for the website. 

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Lady Baxter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:10:44 AM »
After the Memphis show, and lunch at Central BBQ in Memphis, I headed over to Little Rock and points beyond.  I have been to Little Rock and seen this cannon numerous times, but never got out of my car to check it out. 

I went in the museum at the Old State House and the curators told me the story about the cannon which is essentially the same as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysLkB878BjA

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Walking in Memphis
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 06:14:25 AM »
Very interesting.  Is the trunnion attachment natural to the manufacture of the gun or were the old trunnions broken off and a band created to put new trunnions on the tube?
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Walking in Memphis
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »
That's a good question.  I looked at it closely and think I recall the band goes around the trunions.  Its a somewhat crude cannon maybe from being buried (museum curator told me it was dumped in the Arkansas River behind the Old State House) or perhaps from being made in New Orleans.