Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Another classic fake on Ebay  (Read 6424 times)

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
Another classic fake on Ebay
« on: February 08, 2017, 08:08:14 PM »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Another classic fake on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »
Looks like white paint to boot. Ugly.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
22 bids at 153.51 somebody likes it.  :o
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Roy A

• Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:41:04 PM »
Think this is really a fake or just a sharps with a spru?

I had posted this one a while back and it looks pretty similar.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
It is just a Sharps with a sprue, but it is listed as a rare explosive bullet.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »
The seller added a few caveats to his description this evening...I wonder why. It's a shame the morons bidding are not reading his new description.

njdigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Looks like the seller pulled the listing before the sale went off, maybe he reads this forum. Congratulations and thank you to those who kept a fantasy piece from getting into circulation.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 12:29:10 PM »

Selma Hunter

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
All,

Our bud from Strawberry Plains has been doing this for way too long.  Does anyone know someone in law enforcement over there?  I'd opine that given the dollar values and duration of his activities he would be a great candidate for a Mail Fraud trial!

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
actually if there is a good case of mail fraud, the postal inspector would be the way to go.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:41:08 AM »
Speed,

I have had good cause on any number of occasions to contact a postal inspector - Atlanta and Houston being the primary locations in question.  They are an embedded element of our government infrastructure that does not function.  Some years ago - following Hurricane Katrina - I mailed a series of USPS Priority packages (high quality coffee) to a friend who was totally flooded out in the storm.  He lives in La Place, LA.  After three separate boxes were  posted as "Delivered" but had not been delivered to my friends PO Box (no notice had been received by him) and phone calls to the local distribution supervisors were unsatisfactory, I mailed certified letters to the Regional Postal Inspectors office in Houston and to the Congressional office appropriate at the time - in west New Orleans and as posted on the official US Government web site.  The letter to the congressional office came back as "Address Unknown" and "Undeliverable".  The letter to the Houston office is likely somewhere beyond Mars (the planet) by now.  I called the congressional office in DC to advise of the issue(s) involved.  The sweet young thing who answered the phone for the congressman asked me “Do you think you could mail the letter to this office?”.  My response was “Do you think the USPS can find your office?”.  I never heard any more from that one either.  So, for any of you who have dealt with me you will now know why my packaging is essentially “monkey proof”!  The USPS has proven to me that it not only can but will go out of the way to damage mail.  Too many inexcusable incidents.  BTW, they eventually "located" the boxes of coffee, but only under threat of further investigation by yours truly.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 04:19:31 PM »
Bill,

What have you done to annoy the post office to that point?  I think that they must just not like you!   ;D   I've shipped a lot via the USPS and had very minimal issues and nothing lost.  I did have a package take something like 4 weeks to make it from Atlanta to Savannah for some reason but it did show (at the residence of one of our forumites I might add).  But that was some time ago and they've been good since.  I feel that due to the value their flat rate boxes provide my fellow artillery collectors that I must defend them!!!!
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 06:57:57 AM »
Carl,

I have a dedicated folder with photos of dozens of ripped, torn, crushed, etc. packages over the past 15 or so years.  And while I use the "Priority" option for almost all of my shipping needs (4 this week) I would invite all who read this to seek out some of the USPS mailing boxes from past years. 

Leading to:

Also, another conclusion I have reached is that while the USPS is not allowed to arbitrarily raise postal rates without approval they certainly have managed to shrink the sizes and options available for shipping.  I have boxes for which the USPS web site no longer has a posted tariff.  Hmmmmm.  Raise rates?  No! But shrink the (especially "Flat Rate") shipping containers?  Yup!  The "Use Your Own Box" option is pricey.  Wonder why?

Hopefully your luck will hold. 

I am sending you something in snail mail.  Hopefully, too, it will get to you this year.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 04:30:33 PM by Selma Hunter »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 12:36:12 PM »
I shipped a shell to a fellow in Central Florida a month or so ago.  He was tracking it intently on the USPS website.  It got to Orlando and then disappeared for 2-3 days only to show up in Guam.  He got very nervous and emailed me several times about what had I done?, was he going to lose his purchase money?, etc, etc.   I asked him to try to be patient and sure enough, 3 days later it was back in Florida and he got his shell.  The tracking capability can be mildly entertaining for people who have extra time on their hands...