Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Manufacturing the Tice Concussion Fuse  (Read 5150 times)

larrynt

• Email
Manufacturing the Tice Concussion Fuse
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:50 AM »
Hello to all!  I am a newly registered member on this site.  I am a member and tour guide at the Kernstown Battlefield Association.  I am preparing a presentation for our members on the operation and manufacture of fulminate of mercury and its use in artillery fuses.  I am quite fascinated with the Tice fuse.  I have read where the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery Regiment tested it during the siege on Richmond, and would like to know where the Tice fuse was manufactured, and how it was manufactured.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Manufacturing the Tice Concussion Fuse
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
I didn't know so checked Chuck Jones' book "Artillery Fuses of the Civil War" and he didn't say either.  In case you don't have the book, he did say it was invented by Issac P. Tice and showed the following examples:
  • 12-lber Cannon ball with unmarked e fuse from the West Point range
  • Dug fuse from Kelly's Ford, VA
  • 100-lber Parrott with marked fuse fired from Dutch Gap, VA
In addition to knowing where they were made if someone knows, I'd be interested in hearing of other places they've been recovered from.
Best,
Carl

larrynt

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:19:54 PM »
Carl,
Many thanks!  I read the story of the 100lb test firing at Dutch Gap and the reports said the fuse performed well.  If I remember my references correctly, I think there were 40+ of these Tice fuses made at the Frankford arsenal in Philadelphia.  Must have been a test batch or so.  I also have the patent Isaac submitted.  I can see all the parts, and can envision how the arsenals at the time would most likely have cast, machined, and punched the parts.  But it would be really nice to read a report of how these were actually made.  It might be such a small, late in the war item, that there is no information.

Regards,
Larry

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
A number have been recovered over the years on Folly Beach, near Charleston. Apparently. they were "ditched" by Federal troops who considered them unreliable and deadly.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 07:44:14 PM »
I own the cut away Tice shown in Chuck's book.  A friend of mine owns the 2 shown on the top of the page and recently asked if I knew of anyone who'd like to buy them from him.  They will be pricey, but drop me a line if you want me to connect you to him.  He will be at the Dalton Show part of the weekend.

larrynt

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:26:27 AM »
Jack and Mike,
Thanks for the perspective on reliability.  Some of my references point to a 30-40 percent dud rate.  And I understand if you find one in the ground with the vials still intact, this means the fulminate has not yet detonated and makes them very dangerous to recover.

Larry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:16:55 PM »
My understanding is the charge in the actual fuse is not devastatingly powerful, but that the sensitivity of it paired with a live shell is what caused folks to be very leery of them. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 07:18:09 PM by emike123 »

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:38 PM »
In addition to the shells identified with Tice fuzes, in my book on page 81 is a photo of a 13-inch mortar shell with a Tice fuze in place. The Park Service owns it, but has decided not to try to disarm it.   

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
I am surprised they haven't had it blown up. >:(
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 06:58:12 PM »
it's best not to give them any ideas...  if it is brought to their attention by  the public, then they have to act on it