Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Native American Collection  (Read 3279 times)

pipedreamer65

• Email
Native American Collection
« on: February 16, 2017, 10:00:12 AM »

An article in my local newspaper about a collector of Native American artifacts near here.  I've seen one other collection like this and it was "Moon" Mullins old time collection back in the 1970's when I was just a little boy.  He had a small museum in his house and school groups could go view it.    Mullins is mentioned in the article.  Anyway , enjoy the article and be sure to click on the images.

http://www.hickoryrecord.com/news/column-bethlehem-man-boasts-one-of-largest-most-diverse-indian/article_d4f3b903-f20c-5fb1-8bf6-f2fcf10e9089.html

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Native American Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 09:20:19 AM »
 :o Wow
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Native American Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
Wow is right.  He must have $10,000 just in wood cases to display all that!

Here is an interesting link regarding native American relic collecting in Florida:
     http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/north-florida-arrowhead-sting-whats-the-point/2159379
There is an interesting quote from our own forumite judge:
     Archaeologists would prefer artifacts be left alone. Duval County Court Judge Gary Flower, a collector himself, has called that approach, "Leave it where it's at for future generations to never find and pave over."

I personally really like to look at native American relics but avoid collecting them just due to the potential for headaches.  The ARPA law which is what gets Civil War relic hunters in to trouble was created to protect the native American sites but was written very broad to protect all resources and hence finding a minie ball on any federal property can make you a felon.

Best,
Carl