Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Mapleleaf Saint Johns River  (Read 4477 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Mapleleaf Saint Johns River
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »
This is an older video, some may have seen it already and not artillery of bullet related but still a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbQw6eJg59o&t=137s
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
Re: Mapleleaf Saint Johns River
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 06:10:56 PM »
Now that's the kind of stuff I like

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 08:42:28 AM »
Neat video.  As mentioned in the video like many others, I never heard of the Maple Leaf for a long time.  Several years ago they opened a new Civil War museum just over the border in Kenosha, Wisconsin.  I went up there and they had a temporary exhibit on the Maple Leaf.  Glad they are getting the word out on this remarkable discovery.

Dr. Beach

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:09:34 PM »
Thanks for posting.  Extremely interesting, the more so because this was the very vessel that carried Ed McGowan of Gunboat Diana (1863) fame and ninety other captured Confederate officers towards a Northern prison . . . McGowan, having none of this, took the ship with his fellow prisoners and ran it aground eight miles from Cape Henry Light in Virginia.  McGowan then led a group through federally occupied territory and made it to Richmond.  I wrote of this in my 2010, The Last Moments of the Gunboat Diana, and Her Almost Final Resting Place.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:17:08 PM by Dr. Beach »

gflower

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 09:00:09 PM »
Gentlemen
The local museum of history has a nice display of artifacts from the Mapleleaf. They also have a repro torpedo and repro  Raines fuse which cause the sinking of that time capsule under the Saint Johns. You are welcome to come down and see it along with my Raines fuse (found not too far from here) by me. Happy Holidays. Gary