Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: The 3.5-inch Hotchkiss shell and bolt  (Read 3544 times)

Jack Bell

• Email
The 3.5-inch Hotchkiss shell and bolt
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:26:38 PM »
In doing some research on Civil War projectile production (using Executive document 99), I learned that Hotchkiss prosuced a large number of 3.5-inch shells and bolts, but I cannot find a gun the Union used them for.

The is no record I have been able to find of the Union Army buying 3.5-inch Blakely gun, the only 3.5-inch caliber gun I am aware of.  Anybody had some information to overcome my ignorance?

Thanks,

Jack

Pete George

• Email
Re: The 3.5-inch Hotchkiss shell and bolt
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 12:46:27 AM »
  We know the yankee army at the siege of Spanish Fort AL had possession of at least one 3.5" Blakely Rifle, and fired numerous 3.5" Britten shells there.  I've assumed the yanks got the cannon(s) and the accompanying Britten ammunition from a captured blockade runner, because we know with certainty that the yankees got and used some large caliber Whitworth cannons and projectiles from a captured blockade runner.

it would seem to make sense that the US Ordnance Department would have ordered some US-made ammunition for the captured 3.5" Blakely Rifle(s).

Regards,
Pete

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 03:48:27 PM »
http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=A00657

Info courtesy of the ORs and a lifelong Spanish Fort / Fort Blakely digger.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 10:01:36 PM »
  Mike, thanks for providing the yankee battery's name and affiliation.

Jack, being captured blockade runner ordnance would seem explain how the US Government / Ordnance Department got them without buying them.

Regards,
Pete

Khk2921

• Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 08:41:54 PM »
I havevfound both the 3.5 Blakeley  and the 3.5 hotchkiss bolts and shell with iron anvil cap fuse in Vicksburg, the records show fourcarmstring rifles but in fact they we four 3.5 Blakeley  guns.