Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2017)  (Read 34366 times)

callicles

• Email
Re: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2016)
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 07:55:20 PM »
As always, thank you so much, Pete. I took the liberty to insert your first paragraph into the body of the Compilation under "Abandonment of Bormann fuse by South."

callicles

• Email
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2016, 06:38:21 PM »
I've been cleaning up my case-shot with a Confederate Bormann fuse.  I post pictures below. 

My questions are: Am I correct in assuming that I see threads on the fuse?  If so, does this mean it was not screwed down all the way or am I seeing threads due to deterioration over the years?  Perhaps internal gasses pushing the fuse upward? Was this just how they were designed (high-lip variant) ?  Since this is my first case with a CS fuse, I was just wanting some thoughts from the experts here.  I looked at some online, but the few I saw didn't seem to be so raised.

Thanks 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 07:25:43 PM by callicles »

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »
  Nobody else has replied, so I must step up to the podium.  Water got under your shell's Bormann fuze, and froze, probably many times, which pushes the fuze further and further up above the fuzehole with each freeze.  Internal gas pressure doesn't have enough force to do that. As most of us already know, freezing water in what begins as a very tiny crack can eventually split granite.  That's also what caused the greatly-expanded lead sabots on some Gettysburg Monument Hotchkiss shells, and the mysterious "60-caliber" Gardner minies. Jim and Dean Thomas actually conducted a refrigerator freezer test of my freezing-water-in-a-crevice theory of how some unfired Gardner minie bases got expanded to that oversized diameter, and confirmed the theory.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:54:38 AM by Pete George »

callicles

• Email
Re: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2017)
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Don’t mean to bump this thread but I wanted to copy a link to the article from David Poche and Pete George for safe keeping here. That way I’ll know it’s here in case I can’t find it via Google.

http://www.pochefamily.org/Books/Pdf/Subtle%20Differences%20in%20US%20versus%20CS%20Bormann%20Fuses.pdf

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Bormann Fuse Compilation, BulletandShell.com (2011-2017)
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 09:23:03 PM »
Great add.  Thanks.  When I get a chance I'll bookmark it off the bulletanshell.com link list on the left side so it'll be convenient for those who visit to shop.
Best,
Carl