Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War era shipwreck found off North Carolina coast  (Read 7708 times)

Pete George

• Email
Civil War era shipwreck found off North Carolina coast
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »
  A completely new discovery, it is believed to be an iron-hulled Confederate Blockade-Runner, located near Fort Fisher NC.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/03/08/civil-war-era-shipwreck-found-off-north-carolina-coast.html?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:50:21 PM by Pete George »

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Civil War era shipwreck found off North Carolina coast
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:48:44 PM »
right in Divedigger's and my backyard !!  Oh well...   I got a snorkel, but I don't think I can get down that far to the wreck holding my breath !!
   Interestingly, once they identify the wreck, which shouldn't be that tough because of the condition, sometimes there are ledgers still surviving with the cargo contents listed out.  Not all blockade runners carried military goods, there was quite a trade in consumer goods too. Or, they would carry a combination, to maximize their investment.
   I think they were going to dive on it today, 80 degrees here so it would have been a good day for it. If I hear any news, I'll post it.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:13:43 PM »
I saw this one yesterday but was travelling and couldn't copy the link.  Sounds like they have pretty much ID'd it and it is in (based on my news reports of the past Summer) shark infested waters off Fort Caswell.  Hang a pork chop around your neck, David, and tell us what you find!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/07/us/civil-war-era-shipwreck-north-carolina/index.html?eref=rss_us

Selma Hunter

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
That group in the article tracks a lot of sharks and I have the app on my phone for it which I look at often.  Mary Lee referenced in the article is the rockstar of the program and must stay near the surface.  She also was tagged out of Hilton Head but look at her travels (including the Cape Fear River inlet we are discussing):

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
Another day at the beach in the Carolinas watching "the man in the grey suit":

« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 09:30:14 PM by emike123 »

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »
I live here, I go to the beach,  I swim here;  let's change the subject back to shipwrecks !!  I'm sure there is a 'sharks gonna eat ya ' forums out there !

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
Yeah, hopefully the ship was inbound and not going out.  It should have some goodies upon it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 08:21:07 PM »
If only it had made it to port the South would have won!
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 08:30:01 PM »
Wow, times are hopefully changing. Mike's article said:

• The archaeologist said people are welcome to check out the area.  "I just ask them to be good stewards of shared heritage. It is against the law to take stuff off of it, but it is not against the law to look at it."

Always glad to see some practical sense used.  Now let's hope some nut case doesn't plunder it and destroy the improving relationship between archeologists and history interested citizens.  It is only 20 feet deep.  You can almost snorkel that.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 03:12:18 AM »
ON this website:
     http://historyinfullcolor.com/home/about/
I found this interesting info:

This week in the news, a civil war blockade runner has been found off the coast of North Carolina, on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean. The vessel has been tentatively identified as the Agnes E. Fry. If it is the Fry, her captain Joseph Fry may have survived running the Union blockade but was executed for blockade running by the Spanish.

In 1873, Joseph Fry was hired to run supplies to aid the Cuban rebellion on the high-speed side-wheel steamer Virginius. He was informed by the U. S. Consol that he would be shot if he was captured. Fry didn't believe it. During the Civil War, captured blockade runners were treat like POWs.

On October 30, 1873, the Virginius was captured. The entire crew was tried by a court martial as pirates and sentenced to death. Fry's letters to his wife, children and attempts to exonerate his inexperienced crew were published. Fry, who became known as "The Cuban Martyr" and 52 men paid with their lives for Fry's misjudgment.

To avoid war over the "Virginius Affair", 91 of the remaining crew members were returned to the US. Spain paid reparations to the families of the Americans executed. Additional money was raised for Fry's wife and seven children.
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
Re: Civil War era shipwreck found off North Carolina coaster go
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 08:00:06 AM »
The virginius is sunk about 5 miles from the Fry

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email