Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Phil Collins donates his Alamo collection  (Read 6843 times)

Bryan

• Email
Re: Phil Collins donates his Alamo collection
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
http://www.kens5.com/home/Authentication-of-Collins-artifacts-are-not-a-concern-for-Alamo-264798811.html

I'm not good at cutting and paste.  So I hope this works.   It was a big event here in San Antonio.  Going to go see it when it shows up.

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:58 AM »
Alamo artifacts...or just antiques?

Musician Phil Collins is donating his massive collection of Alamo artifacts to the state of Texas, but are they really from the Alamo?

http://www.kens5.com/home/Alamo-artifactsor-just-antiques-264662351.html

First one worked :)  So here's another news clip from the day before.  can't find the 6pm interview about his prized  piece so we'll have to guess

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:39:10 PM »
Truth is, and Mr. Collins is clear about it in his book "The Alamo and Beyond: A Collector's Journey", that while the vast majority of his collection is correct to the period, when buying on the open market, its always open to debate.  But without a doubt, some of the collection can be documented to the battle of the Alamo.  Much more can be documented to men on both sides who were there.  And he has a number of relics that he personally excavated from under a building across from the Alamo

By the way, if you have a passion for the Alamo, the aforementioned book "The Alamo and Beyond: A Collector's Journey" is profusely illustrated from Mr. Collins' collection (quality color photos) and his narrative about how he came to obtain and research each relic illustrated.  It's a bit pricy, but at least for me was well worth every cent.  I've read it through several times.

I tip my cap to Mr. Collins for this donation to the state of Texas, and hope to get to see at least some of his collection in person in a future trip to San Antonio

natdigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Good for him. Glad to hear it.

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:03 PM »
Heres the latest update on the Phil Collins donation

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/local/2014/10/28/against-all-odds-phil-collins/18065731/

misipirelichtr or anybody visiting San Antonio here's a side trip to the Quadrangle at Fort Sam Houston.  Its post CW but still interesting.  Its close to the Alamo and the San Antonio Arsenal Complex.

http://www.informationsanantonio.com/toseeanddo/sanantonioattractions/quadranglesanantonio.html

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qbs02

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:25 PM »
In the Phil Collins story it stated its been almost 300 years since the battle but its only around 200.  The battle was in 1836.  If I can find the news video I'll post it.

A side story on the Arsenal it was the HQ of the H&S Co 4th Recon Bat, 4th Marine Division.  The 4th Marine Division is the Marine Reserve Division.   
I did my reserve duty with the unit back in the late 70s before I went Active duty.  So I don't know when they moved out of the complex.

Bryan

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 05:22:11 PM »
I went downtown to the Alamo today.   I asked a worker about the Phil Collins collection.  He said it was in Austin getting authentication work.  He said one demand Phii  Collins had was it be displayed in on location in a museum setting.  A few week ago I heard on the news that the state bought some building across the street from the Alamo.  They didn't say what for.  Could be for the collection.   Time will tell.   When I find out more I'll past it on.
They did have 2 items from his collection,  A short sword in the Long Barracks and a howitzer in a side room in the Alamo.  Pictures taking is not allowed in either location so I couldn't take any.  The howitzer you couldn't get any closer then about 10 feet and the lighting was bad.    It was mounted on a wooden plateform like a coehorn mortar.   Looked like a 4" to 6" bore.  The whole thing being about 3 to 4 feet long a foot wide 1 and half feet toll.
A new exhibit that opened up in the last few weeks is Battle for Texas.   It houses over 250 artifacts from the Alamo to Sam Houston's victory at  San Jacinto.
Here's the web site.  don't know why it wont let you link of it.
www.BattleforTexas.com