Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: RIP Dan Poppen  (Read 6294 times)

Daveslem

• Email
RIP Dan Poppen
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Just heard that Dan Poppen passed away. He was 84. Always looked forward to seeing him walking around at the Gettysburg shows with his briefcase full of bullets. He always had great bullets for sale and a good joke to tell. Recently I had been asking about him as I hadn't seen him in a number of years. RIP, Dan.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

Pete George

• Email
Re: RIP Dan Poppen
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 10:02:02 PM »
Thanks for the notification, Dave.

Carl or Mike, please move this thread to the "Remembering The Great Ones" section, if you agree that Dan merits it.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
Did not know him but do recognize the name as a member of our community.  My condolences to his family and friends.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:44:38 PM »
I only met Dan a couple times and never got to see his entire bullet collection.  I recall when his shell collection was sold off, and I landed some nice pieces.  One (a common Hotchkiss shell) was so important to him he decided he wanted it back and so I of course obliged.  Dan was definitely a legend for among other things his significant bullet collection and cannot be replaced.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:03:32 PM »
I would guess that everyone knew that Dan was the head radiographer at NWS  Dahlgren, VA.  That is where I met him in the early 60s and he supplied the Cochran shell for my book.
Kind Regards,
John

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 11:57:36 PM »
I only met Dan a couple times and never got to see his entire bullet collection.  I recall when his shell collection was sold off, and I landed some nice pieces.  One (a common Hotchkiss shell) was so important to him he decided he wanted it back and so I of course obliged.  Dan was definitely a legend for among other things his significant bullet collection and cannot be replaced.

Mike--did he tell you what made that particular shell special?  Was it an especially nice one?
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »
It was a nice one, but what I recall made it special was that he had found it himself