Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gun Show Pickups  (Read 9227 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Re: Gun Show Pickups
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 02:49:58 PM »
John
    It was ignited with a port fire.
Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 02:54:43 PM »
Hello Dan,
   You know, I was unaware that they still used them during the war. I thought everything was lanyard fired.
Thank you,,
John

Selma Hunter

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »
Dan, John, et al,

Yes, they could be ignited with a portfire, or a quick/slow match, or generally & more commonly, with a gun lock.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
John
       In the Additional Rules for Laboratories, published by CS Central Laboratory, Ord., Macon Ga., May 30,1863 it mentions Priming Tubes ("Spur Tubes")

Bill,
     These paper priming tubes do not have a percussion igniter that I can see, just ignition by the quick match hanging from the end.  If this is the case, wouldn't it have to be ignited by some type of match?  A gun lock would just crush it.

Dan

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
I would think so.  Aren't quill primers ignite4d by a flame of some sort.??
It is odd how we don't sometimes pay attention to the small things.
Regards.
John

Selma Hunter

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
Guys,

Quill primers were very versatile devices.  They can be fired with a lock (percussive) or a heat source (quick match, slow match, portfire, common match, etc.).  The magic formula called for a mixture of Mercury Fulminate (sensitive to percussive/concussive impact), ground glass (preferably ground French leaded glass which provides an abrasive component to the mixture) and a fine musket powder - included for obvious reasons.  Please note that the formula herein was for the top element of the primer only - the tube was filled with powder only.

I will not say that the primer you have is not intended to be fired by a heat source only, but "quill primers" were quite versatile, as I stated.

My reference copy of "Dahlgrens Treatise" (1853) on gun locks (including quill primer manufacturing) has been moved from the assigned place in my bookcase.  BenĂȘt's "Ordnance Memoranda No. 21" (1878) shows a slightly different formulation for friction primers but does shed a huge light on all kinds of ammunition and pyrotechnic data of that period.  Many of the questions and issues sometimes speculated on in this forum can be answered therein.

So, dig out your copy of Dahlgren's and check it out.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 07:58:40 AM by Selma Hunter »

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »
Hi Bill,
     A powerful  lot of info, thank you.  BTW congratulations on your "mug shots" in the Artilleryman magazine.
Take care,
Cuz Bart

Selma Hunter

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2015, 07:57:56 AM »
Bart,

Thank you, Sir!

Sure was good to hear Kay's voice the other day.

Keep up your good work.  Your art in the same issue is gonna knock'em out.  Congrats on your "appointment".

Bill