Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Neat Vicksburg Photo  (Read 7415 times)

Garret

• Email
Neat Vicksburg Photo
« on: October 31, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
Wonder what become of this group of artillery shells?  Personally, I love shells recovered from Vicksburg over a lot of other battlefields.  The iron on the shells and the patina on the lead sabots of Hotchkiss shells are much better than a lot of other battle sites. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Neat Vicksburg Photo
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
They're lining Mike's driveway.   ;D

I agree about the quality of the shells from there.  Also lots of variety as well.   One of my favorite places to hunt.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 03:17:24 AM »
I see mostly Parrott shells there, but would anyone care to venture what other shells they see in the picture? 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 05:38:09 AM »
I see a James

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 06:26:51 AM »
i see what looks like a huge Read teardrop.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 01:46:35 PM »
does it look like it fell off a truck?   

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
Certainly Hotchkiss and Schenkls there along with the James that DiveDigger pointed out.  I think that Scott is correct on that tear drop Read.  And of course a variety of cannon balls.  I like the two 10-lber Parrott flat nosed bolts on the far left.  Where did you find this image?
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:10:47 PM »
I found it on this blog site:  https://mississippiconfederates.wordpress.com/2013/05/11/war-relics-may-still-be-found-hereabouts/

Right below the sign to the right isn't that a 7" Dyer with a 8" or 10" mortar shell and a 3.8 James shell stacked on each other? 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 01:09:50 AM »
Thanks for the link.  Very neat.

I thought the same about that being a Dyer but couldn't tell if it was a shadow or what.  it seems a little tall to me for a 7-inch Dyer.  They did use a few Dyers there it seems though.  I've seen a couple reported as from there but I've not seen a solid source it is the case.  I know they were found just a bit south of there at Grand Gulf and the iron clads like the Cairo had them so it stands to reason some would have been fired into Vicksburg.

And lots of 30-lber Parrotts were used there for sure and they are well represented in your image.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:19:13 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 04:39:28 AM »
Carl,
I'm thinking that the Dyer is on top of something to keep it sturdy as a base.  It has the huge lead sabot that can only be a 7" Dyer.  I have this same combo of shells in my relic room and just eyeballing it I can see that this is a  distinct possibility.  Not planning on putting the mortar ball on top of the fuze hole of the Dyer though!   ;)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:20 AM »
It certainly looks like a Dyer I agree.  I just gave it pause as the image is so grainy but blown up as you see below it certainly seems that is what it is.

Also note to the right of it what appears to be a large canister or grape plate leaning against a round ball.  The sun shining on it has it so bleached out to the camera you can't tell any detail.
Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2015, 04:01:39 PM »
Carl,
Yeah, it seems most 7" Dyers were recovered from that huge cache from Island #10.  This photo puts to rest that some were recovered at Vicksburg as fired by the U.S. during the siege. 
Garret

Khk2921

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
That picture is of Zimbabwe Davis who had  a store in his house andcsold artillery  shells, it is said when he died they dumped all thevshells in a ravine clisevtonhis house as of yet  nonevhave been found burnt-out never know, someday theybwill be found!

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 06:44:47 PM »
saw the James trying to hide but it kinda sticks out if you are partial to them
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
They're lining Mike's driveway.   ;D

I agree about the quality of the shells from there.  Also lots of variety as well.   One of my favorite places to hunt.

There was actually a gentleman in Camden, SC (as the story goes) that had a number of unfinished Camden Read Shells that he lined his driveway with and after his house blew away in a storm; all that was left was the shells along the driveway. And, at least one of these shells made it to the for sale section of the website (still with it's concreted base intact).