Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: we all lost a good friend today  (Read 6148 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
we all lost a good friend today
« on: July 07, 2011, 05:49:29 PM »

Just wanted to let you all know that Albert Jewell of Wilmington, NC passed away today, July 7th, after a long battle with cancer.

Albert was foremost a digger and started back in the advent of detectors with a passion here in fertile Wilmington. He has been setting up at shows buying and selling for years now with his wonderful wife Joan by his side. If you have been to shows from Richmond to Marieatta to Charleston to Nashville or to Mansfield, you have probably met Albert and Joan.
     Albert was a straight shooter and an honest person, which is hard to find behind a table at shows nowadays. He dealt in all things Civil War, his knowledge was broad. He and Joan were great people to know and converse with. Albert will be sorely missed by those whom knew him, and good chance you have met him sometime in your life.
         It's good to know that the last time Albert had the energy and was able to get out digging, with his nephew Johnny weilding the shovel for him, Albert detected  a button on his 'bucket list' that had always eluded him. It was a NC standing shephard button, a very rare button. Steve Sylvia is going to put it in the next N-S Trader which comes out soon. Too bad Albert did not get to see it in print. Given his condition at the time he dug it, finding a shephard was appropriate.......
      If anyone wants more information about flowers or a service particulars, please PM me and I will be happy to pass that info along as it becomes available

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: we all lost a good friend today
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:58:50 PM »
Albert was a very kind fellow and interesting to converse with.  Very sad to hear.  Thanks Dave for passing the sad news on.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Thanks for calling me to let me know this sad news, David.  I was in the airport in Dallas at the time going through security so missed your call durnit.

I too will miss Albert.  A very good fellow.  Please give his widow our heartfelt regards and sympathies when you see her.  Not too many folks are lucky enough to have their spouses stand beside them at shows, but she was always there cheerfully participating in our conversations at Nashville, Dalton and Charleston.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
Albert was as fine a guy as you could hope to meet.