Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Jack Wells  (Read 7121 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Jack Wells
« on: July 16, 2015, 09:01:37 PM »
I received the sad news from Jim Thomas today that forum member Jack Wells passed away yesterday morning.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Jack Wells
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:35:18 PM »
Very sorry to hear.  My condolences to his family and friends.
Best,
Carl

rommack

• Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 07:33:08 AM »
I am very  sad to here about Jack ! I met Jack way back in 1964 at Port Hudson when he came down with Tom Dickey. He was a great relic hunter and good friend .  He will be missed !

Selma Hunter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »
Godspeed!  A fine man and more than generous with his knowledge.  He would go well out of his way to share with newbies like me.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 08:45:16 AM »
Jack was a legend around here. He was very helpful to me when I started digging. A fine man

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:54:39 AM »
I was just checking in to see if you guys had heard about Jack.  A friend of mine was in the process of interviewing him (and others) about his early relic hunting experiences.  He spent five hours with Jack at the VA hospital in Fayetteville, NC on July 5th and had plans to continue with the interview this Saturday.  Indeed Jack was a local legend.  He was the first relic hunter I met.  As a kid growing up, I used to see him with his detector walking the trenches on Federal Point, NC. 

coonboy

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
Jack was a great friend of mine and I first met him nearly 45 years ago. He and his wife visited with us numerous times in the 70's and he and I spent quiet a  bit of time in Louisiana Civil War Campsites. A great Viet Nam Vet who donated many historical items to our military museum so many years ago.  Our family will never forget him   coonboy
Terry

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  A great man and a lot of old school knowledge that will be missed.  Be at peace.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:03:03 PM »
  Jack Wells is definitely deserving of a place in this forum's Remembering The Great Ones" category.

Thanks for putting your post there, Emike.

I first met Jack Wells when Tom Dickey invited me to go with him to visit various Fort Fisher area diggers in the mid-1970s.  At that time Mr. Wells had a very extensive shell, fuze, and bullet collection... along with an extensive Knowledge Base.  As others here have already mentioned, he shared that knowledge freely.  I agree, he will be missed.

I hope the interview material will be published.  Coming from Jack Wells, it's going to be very interesting, and entertaining.

With respect,
Pete George

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »
SGTMAJ Charles Jack Wells and I go back to the late 50s when I was getting interested in ACW projectiles and fuze.
    As Pete mentioned, Jack had an extensive collection of shells and fuzes and did extensive research on the subject especially with his research into the Whitworth family of projectiles.
     I have tried to reach his wife Kitty by phone and it will not connect.  I have emailed my condolences rather than having not sent my sympathies.  I learned of Jack's passing today from a one hour phone with Skipper Keith in James Island, SC.
With Kind Regards,
John aka Bart

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
As some of you may know, The Wilmington Campaign is my collecting focal point.  I've spent a lot of time looking for information, relics, images and such on the internet over the years.  I thought some of you may enjoy this article I ran across some time ago.  I bookmarked it and with Jack's passing, it reminded me of it.  I hope you enjoy.  Be sure to scroll up a little and see the image!

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19560321&id=SWJgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=xnENAAAAIBAJ&pg=2162,4082109&hl=en
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:04:18 AM by pipedreamer65 »

Ghost of Mac Mason

• Email
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:38:37 PM »
Fine words, gentlemen, for a fine fellow.  Jack will be missed terribly in the mortal realm, but we welcome him with open arms to the relic room of the immortals.  He is a truly worthy entrant who advanced our hobby while more importantly being a good man.