Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: the iron-ey of it all  (Read 4719 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
the iron-ey of it all
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »
   I was working in the yard today when the post man comes up to deliver a box to me. We get to talking, and it turns out he is retired Army, 25 years.
   Said he was with E.O.D. And I said 'really, that's interesting'. I asked if he ever dealt with Civil War ordnance. He said, oh yeah, all the time.  He said they would blow it up with shaped charges every time because it is so unstable and old black powder is oh,  so, so dangerous. Of course I did not mention my 'hobby ' to him.....
  Guess what was in the heavy box he was delivering to me ....!!

Garret

• Email
Re: the iron-ey of it all
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »
Haha Dave!  I'm very careful when speaking with anyone about my collection too.  The last thing I need is my house surrounded by police and the bomb squad removing my collection of disarmed and inert shells to destroy. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
In the box?? obviously a cannonball. :)
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
My post man just shakes his head and says it is best to ship on Saturday (his off day).  ;)
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
My post man and fed ex driver make me open them so they can see them, guess I'm lucky"}

redbob

• Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
With the advent of the flat rate shipping boxes. the boxes that the shells are coming in are getting smaller; but no lighter. My mailperson has taken notice and in case you have ever wondered, it can take quite a while to get a medium size flat rate box out of a standard mailbox after it has been crammed into it.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 08:32:03 PM »
I bought an oversized mailbox to make this work with the flat rate boxes.  It will hold one shell box and the mail but the dimensions just aren't quite large enough to hold two boxes and close door.  So some days I have to go to the post office or spread shipping them out over a couple days.  When delivering the postman brings them to the door most of the time.
Best,
Carl