Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Freddie Clark  (Read 7376 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Freddie Clark
« on: December 04, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
It is with very sad heart that I pass along that Freddie Clark passed away late Wednesday night.  He was known on our forum as BigIronMan.  As many may not know Freddie dealt with heart issues and some years back received a heart transplant.  While he had to deal with issues from the side affects of the anti-rejection drugs, etc. it gave him his life back and he was able to enjoy life again with his sweet wife Sarah and his family and hobbies.

Freddie is a native Charlestonian (SC) and grew up with Fort Sumter and many other images of the great conflict as his childhood playground.  Eventually artillery became his passion.  Freddie's contributions to our hobby were great and he was a willing sharer of his knowledge.  Freddie first started the use of the ferrometer for use in locating shells in the marsh.  This opened up many very large impact areas that were previously unhuntable and many people used this knowledge to bring us many of the shells we see from the marshes in books and for sale and on display.  More importantly finding these shells brought on the need to determine how to best preserve them.  Freddie reached out to any source of knowledge he could find to determine a process for saving these artillery rounds by removing the salts from the iron.  This too he shared with many others.  He worked very closely with the lead archeologist for the state of Florida.  For those who have seen Freddie's setup for running shells they can vouch that he has it to a science and anything that Freddie conserved you can be assured it was done right.

Freddie was a very good friend who was fun to be around.  He will be greatly missed.
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
Re: Freddie Clark
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
So sad to hear that news, Freddie was a very helpful influence when I started. He was great fun to be around and would do anything to help. I will certainly miss him. So long friend, David

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:26 PM »
    The title of this  area of the forums is, ' remembering the great ones'. Of course Freddie belongs here. But he also needs to be remembered as one of the 'good ones'.   For those of you whom had the pleasure to know him, and for those of you whom never met him, Freddie was one of the most giving people you could meet. An extremely talented man in whatever he turned his attention to.
   And as Carl and Dave said in their posts above, he would share his knowledge freely with anyone interested, and his home was always open for a visit. His wife Sarah is a beautiful person too, and more than just a spouse, she was his partner, and I can only wish her the best in the coming times.....
  I hope heaven is ready for such a big man as Freddie!!  He is one of a kind.

bigironman

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 05:43:54 PM »
Hello,
This is Sarah. Thanks for your very kind words. It means a lot to me.
I can't tell you how much.
Proud to be Mrs. BigIronMan

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
There were many stories shared at the Richmond Show of good times with Freddie and how he will be missed.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »
     Sarah,      The usual crew of your and Freddies friends will be in Charleston for the Civil War show on Jan 2nd 3rd and 4th.  Hopefully we can all get together like we always do for dinner. Let's keep the tradition going. We can all toast Freddie and tell stories: mostly true, many exaggerated and a few 'mistruths ' !!
      It would be great to see you again. 

bigironman

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
Dave,
Yes I would like that. Call me I have an idea.
Thanks, Sarah

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
We're going to meet for dinner Saturday night of the Charleston Show in honor of Freddie.  If you'll be there and able to come please reach out to me and I'll pass on the details.  Hope everyone who knew Freddie can make it.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 08:14:10 PM »

Wilmington Mike

• Email
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 10:36:32 AM »
That was a really good read, Mike.  May he rest in peace.