Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cannister Video  (Read 4085 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Cannister Video
« on: October 25, 2014, 05:30:31 PM »
     Not whether this was ever posted on the site, but I thought you would enjoy it.
Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86XhYS8GJI

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Cannister Video
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:21:09 PM »
  I finally got a second to watch the video.
   What surprised me was how close of a group the canister balls stayed together down range.  It looked like they spread out maybe 40 feet. I always assumed in a smoothbore that when the can disintegrated upon firing, that the balls were going to spread out over a greater area, and not stay concentrated.
 Also, I was surprised at how far they actually traveled down range. I always think of canister as a close quarters weapon. But, if an infantry group was coming at you, I would think you would have plenty of time to get off quite a few rounds as they advanced towards  your position.
   And I liked the 'bell' ringing of the bronze cannon upon firing !!  Pretty cool stuff

Pete George

• Email
Re: Cannister Video
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
  My objection to the firing in the video is that the Canister ammo the crew is using seems to be improperly constructed.  The can's walls are too heavy-gauge/thick/strong. In some of the shots, you can clearly see from the "impact dust-clouds" that the can doesn't disintegrate like thin-gauge civil war ones did (thereby releasing all the balls), but instead flies downrange nearly intact.  In those shots a tight cluster of balls strikes the ground, dispersing much more slowly (and narrowly) than they would if a proper weak thin-walled can was used. View the video in highest resolution at FULLSCREEN and you'll see what I mean.  In particular, watch the shot starting at 3:53 in the video. (There are several other shots like that one.) The result almost looks like a torpedo's trail along the water's surface (meaning, narrow).

Starting at 8 minutes 09 seconds:
  I don't know why they bothered to build a 4'x8'plywood wall, a good distance downrange, which appears to be 90'-100" long -- only a 7-panel section (28') got hit by one or more balls. Apparently they were expecting much wider ball-dispersal than they got.
Starting at 8 minutes 50 seconds:
  Judging by the dust-cloud, nearly all the balls hit at a VERY narrow section of the wall.

The evidence indicates these artillerymen were using canister cans made of something similar to ductwork sheetmetal, instead of a properly thin "tin can." I suspect the person who made those Reproduction canisters was using sheet-steel instead of thin sheet-iron. Civil war "tinned-iron" cans were NOT made of steel, as today's "tin cans" are.

The poor dispersal of the balls caused me to be deeply disappointed in this video. I do not believe it to be an accurate representation of the dispersal of a 12-Pounder canister's balls during the civil war.

Regards,
Pete
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 09:50:54 PM by Pete George »