Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: "The Long Arm of Lee"  (Read 3404 times)

Jine

"The Long Arm of Lee"
« on: October 25, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
A question for readers who've spent time with the works of that title- do they come recommended? I don't know why it's taken this long to come to the point of inquiring and investigating, but that's where I'm at.

Thanks in advance for any input! :)
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

mccaul

• Email
Re: "The Long Arm of Lee"
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 11:39:07 AM »
I have read "The Long Arm of Lee" by Jennings Cropper Wise (both volumes) and I would recommend it.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »
Excellent read &some photos of Lee's gunners found nowhere else.

Jine

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
A delayed thanks here for you input, gentlemen. I'll look into obtaining these, and am certainly open to suggestions on any other works giving insight to the nuts, bolts, and exercising of field artillery.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »
There is only a small amount regarding field artillery as the bulk of CS artillery around Charleston was heavy but Siege Train by CS Major Edward Manigault is a must read for the artillery minded person:
       http://www.sc.edu/uscpress/books/1996/3127.html
It is a daily log written during the siege and not a post war remembrance so it should be highly accurate.  I highly recommend this book especially if you've studied about or been to Charleston.  It is a very good read.
Best,
Carl

Jine

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
I love Charleston and its history, Carl, and find myself overdue for a revisit. Thank you for the suggestion; there's a lot to be said that type of history, usually lacking in personal agendas and vendettas. I'll certainly check it out.

Thanks again. :)

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
to All,
  For a detailed account of the C.S. defence of James Island near Charleston read "Seige Train" by Warren Ripley (deceased).
Kind Regards,
John

Jine

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 06:00:27 PM »
Thank you John, I'll take your advice!