Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Atlantic Pipeline  (Read 3784 times)

Jine

Atlantic Pipeline
« on: October 19, 2014, 08:00:27 AM »
I couldn't locate the previous post on this subject, but Dominion has provided aerial images by county showing the preliminary route of the proposed pipeline. They can be found at the following link and then clicking on "Open House Aerial Maps and Posters" under Additional Details:

https://www.dom.com/business/gas-transmission/atlantic-coast-pipeline/index.jsp

Here is a snipped image of its route in relation to the battlefield of McDowell (issue of concern in previous post) circled in fuschia, or whatever:

As you can see this is mighty close, and keep in mind being only preliminary it could run even closer.

"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)

John M. Brooke

Re: Atlantic Pipeline
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:20 AM »
I contacted them about the proposed pipeline and its route close to the battlefield.
I did get a reply that they "would absolutely look into this". The CWPT has not made any mention of this
on the website. I would think a project of this magnitude with large right-of-ways, land destruction, and permanently
changing the views and terrain of the battlefield would be in the forefront of their preservation efforts.

I guess you can't fight "Big Oil" but I would hate to be the one that had to answer to this guy for destroying the hallowed ground
his troops fought on!

Jine

Re: Atlantic Pipeline
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 06:14:24 AM »
Thanks for letting Dominion know they're being watched, John. I would think the CWT would be be aware, but I wonder if they feel they don't equate to David against that Goliath.

I advised the CW(P)T a couple of years ago of a few acres of significant to Taylor's Louisianan's assault of The Coaling. The asking price should not have been prohibitive as even I was trying to figure out how to finance it myself, but it's all "history" now.

I agree with you about the soldier in your image. My understanding is that when he threw away his scabbard it was for all time.
"Let every man serve God daily, love one another, preserve your victuals, beware fire, and keep good company." -- Admiral Sir John Hawkins (1532-1595)