Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Trans-Miss Read/Mullane/Archer  (Read 6728 times)

mbfrompb

• Email
Trans-Miss Read/Mullane/Archer
« on: October 01, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
Im looking for any CS Trans-Miss artillery shells associated with the Camden Expedition, specifically the battles of Poison Spring and Prairie D'Anne.  Any information would be appreciated

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Trans-Miss Read/Mullane/Archer
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 09:54:28 PM »
Here are two.  There used to be a second of these Mullanes but it got away.

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:19:57 PM »
Is that a Read? And do you know who the digger was?

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:55:21 PM »
Meigs, it's what is called a "Marshall Arsenal" Mullane Plate Shell in the 1993 edition of Dickey and George (3" version of shell shown on page 213).  I do not recall the digger's name, but Carl may.

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
Mike
Thanks for the reply.  So is this shell from Poison Spring and for sale? If so,  please ask Carl if he knows the digger's name.  I knew most of the early diggers who hunted there back in the day.  Possibly Tom Herring or Bruce Murph, both from nearby El Dorado, AR.  You can email me a price Monday on my personal email mbrainard@gosabs.com.  Also, was the other Marshall Mullane that got away the same type shell from PS as well?  I would love to get photos of any shells you have had from PS if you could help me.  Thanks  PS keep me in mind if you guys turn up anything from PS or Prairie D' Anne, AR, especially artillery related.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
Both these in the picture are from Poison Spring and my guess is the recovery location is marked on the map shown that the guy gave me with the Bearrs book and 3 projectiles when I got them.  The guy brought them to Franklin 3 or 4 years ago and they were mounted on a board -- Carl if you recall for Meigs.  I could be talked out of the 6pdr because they are ubiquitous, but the 3in is the only one of this uncommon type I have left now (other one already sold was its twin) so we missed that opportunity, at least for now.  I think a couple other guys have these shells though so if I can backfill it, I will let you know and you certainly have dibs.  Be good to repatriate it...

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 10:55:29 PM »
Ok, if another turns up from PS, let me know.  I know of several types of CS rifled shells found there including 3 inch Mullanes with the percussion fuse, 3 inch Archer bolts, and I though some 3 inch TM Reads (but can't recall for sure) as well as 6 and 12 pound wood drive-in balls have come from the battlefield.  Is the ball a 6 wood drive-in?  I may be interested in that.  Be sure and ask Carl what the name of the digger was who brought in the shells.  Possibly he autographed the Steele's Retreat book that you have?  It may have his name in it and I may know the fellow.  Thanks for your help.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 02:57:45 AM »
I probably have some emails from him somewhere.  I'll try to search for it this weekend.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 07:52:41 AM »
Alas, it is just a solid shot 6pdr.  I do not see any names in the book but there is a hand drawn map on the back of the big map that probably is a more precise guide to recovery location but someone would have to know the area pretty well to decipher it.

mbfrompb

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
Ok guys, thanks, keep me posted if you let it go.