Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Remembering The Great Ones: Memeorial Day  (Read 3763 times)

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
Remembering The Great Ones: Memeorial Day
« on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:38 AM »
Good Morning To All
Let us all remember and honor those that have given all in service for there country.  It's been over 40 years and I can still see their faces.  RIP my friends.
Dan

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
Re: Remembering The Great Ones: Memeorial Day
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 12:57:58 PM »
Here is to the memory of all the fallen Hero's that have given the ultimate for their country. Each one of us have names that we can recall of friends that have fallen.

It is this day that the Nation honors them. Each day that we remember them is a Memorial Day for us.

While the Nation spends time at the beach or time with their family at the barbeque here is hoping that they pause a moment to remember those that gave them the time to do that.

The Revolutionary War gave this country life; The War of 1812 reaffirmed our birth; The Mexican-American War expanded our Country; The War Between the States set the precedence that we would not be dominated over; The Spanish-American War showed we would not allow others to threaten us; World War I and World War II showed we would not stand for domination over others; Korea was a stand against spreading Communism; Vietnam was another stand against the Communist hoard; Grenada showed we would protect our citizens; Panama showed that we would stand against despots; Desert Storm was a chance to protect against another dictator; Iraq and Afghanistan is our hope for protecting the world against terroristic radicals.

As long as we have people willing to stand up for what is right, and brave enough to take up the gun we will have Memorial Day.

Let us pray that this Nation will not perish from the face of the earth.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
Agreed.  It is a sacrifice that is hard to grasp to offer ones life for a cause and country.  And unfortunately that offer is sometime taken.  I come from a military family but fortunately none of my immediate family lost their lives.  My wife's uncle was not as lucky and lost his life early in Vietnam in LZ Albany at barely 20 years old.  We must never forget these loses are husbands, wives, sons, daughters, fathers and mothers to someone.  They gave all their tomorrows for our today.
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
     eloquently said Gordon, I have never before seen a timeline laid out like that........

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Remembering The Great Ones: Memorial Day
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »
Until now I had not read this speech by Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. on Memorial Day 130 years ago.  It is, as one would expect of so distinguished a speaker, quite eloquent and also painfully personal of that thrice wounded Civil War Veteran who later became Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court.  A different time and a different war, but I think he articulated some of the feelings Dan started this thread with:

http://people.virginia.edu/~mmd5f/memorial.htm
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 11:49:51 AM by emike123 »