Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: what's your favorite ??  (Read 11703 times)

Pete George

• Email
Re: what's your favorite ??
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 01:49:48 PM »
 Redbob, that's marvelous. Unlike in my case, there's no maybe-maybe-maybe that your favorite relic was touched by your civil war soldier ancestor. Even better, you've got his personal thoughts, regarding Military matters, written by his own hand during the war. In my opinion, there is no civil war relic more "special" in a personal collection than that kind.

Regards,
Pete

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
Both are nice, but love the trunnion...great "action" relic.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 05:52:22 PM »
Well Dave, you started this.  Let's see your favorite one!
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 06:52:59 AM »
  my favorite relic is all the people I have had the pleasure of meeting here on the forums, and in the collecting community; diggers, scholars and dealers ........  cheers !!

coonboy

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 02:09:53 PM »
I thought I would add to this discussion and try to post my favorite relic of all my hunting trips. This came from about 150 feet from our back porch and the photo will show a large war log with a 6lb solid shot embedded in one half and the imprint in the other half. This was fired  by the Valverde Battery with a cannon that was brought all the way from the battle in New Mexico. The tree had stood for many years after it had died and was a towering large oak. I run a detector over it in earlier years and it was loaded with small arms projectiles,cannon projectile fragments and even a couple of borman fuses. Later After spending days to cut it into segments that I could handle I ended up with enough war logs that I was able to send examples to numerous historical sites from California to West Point. In the leaves, after cutting the tree up I found the future curator of the Crumps Hill Historical  site and he run the museum until he died 8 years later. He grew from 4 inches long to an amazing 42 lbs in those 8 years later.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:58:12 PM by coonboy »
Terry

coonboy

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 02:15:21 PM »
Curator "Elbert Earl" sitting on a ladys lap with his friend Jo . Raccoons are the only animal species that can actually smile. I believe John told me that or maybe it was R.J.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:00:04 PM by coonboy »
Terry

coonboy

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 02:22:10 PM »
I did want to show a final photo of the curator at work. I raised him feeding him milk and honey with an eye dropper and graduated up to a baby bottle. While working in the museum his favorite hobby was making medicine bullets(chewed minies) and even chewed up a $200 Tom Green that I still have. I hope I did not violate any forum rules but I thought that much of him. He personally autographed all photos I took of him and hundreds and hundreds of museum business cards.      Coonboy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:33:32 PM by coonboy »
Terry

Dr. Beach

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:01 PM »
Terry, thank you for sharing your six-pounder (and especially, your forty-two pounder!) with us!  Both, one of a kind.

Horace

coonboy

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
 Dr. Beach thank  you for your kind comments and thoughts along with all the others that wrote from the forum. John, Jon, R.J., Mike, Jack, Etex, speedenforcer'and my 41 year friend Pete, and so many others. Our forum is the best on the net and all members are great. My health is doing a little better and I hope to get to where I can post more     Coonboy
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:26:49 PM by coonboy »
Terry

R. J. in LA

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 05:35:44 PM »
Terry, that war log is a special relic alright and you have it displayed beautifully in the museum along with the many other wonderful relics there! I know Elbert was special to you and Carolyn and I wish I would have had the pleasure of meeting Elbert before he passed but those photo memories you have of him are fantastic! I don't believe you've violated any forum rules at all by posting those photos and I love Horace's reference to Elbert as your 42 pounder!  :)
Glad to see you posting and thanks for your friendship.

R. J.

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
  Terry, I offer you this message of comforting and good cheer, on several subjects.

In my opinion, your posts above show the most-favorite thing you ever found while doing "relic-recovering."  I don't think a single soul at this forum would disagree that your photos of him are on-topic in this discussion.

Your long friendship has been a blessing to me.  Thank you.  I'll say that again to you on the other side -- where I'll get to meet Elbert Earl.

Psalm 37:4
John 14:13-14, spoken by Jesus The Christ
and that promise is repeated by Him in John 15:16 and John 16:23-24

Very best regards,
Pete

ETEX

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
Terry, great photo of the War Log and the couple of Elbert. I know I was extremely impressed with the war log when I saw it and that is one relic that brings emike to tears he wants it so bad.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2014, 05:03:07 AM »
Great relics, everyone. Terry, awesome war log and now I know why you go by the name of Coonboy.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2014, 07:16:35 PM »
You are right, ETEX, I cannot post anything on this thread because Terry has already posted a picture of my favorite relic -- the warlog that is, not Elbert as I never got to meet him personally.