Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: William Young Warren Ripley Obit  (Read 5585 times)

Selma Hunter

William Young Warren Ripley Obit
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »
All -

This week someone sent me a copy of the obituary (datelined Charleston Post & Courier Sept 8 2013) for Warren Ripley, age 92.   He passed Saturday the 7th of September.  I am absolutely amazed that this event passed without notice on this web site.  His work covered many publications and a number of topics, however he is likely best known to most of us for his research and writing of "Artillery and Ammunition of the American Civil War" Promontory Press, New York City,1970.  That publication continues to serve as a primary source for my own work and frequently gets first attention whenever a question has to be "researched".

RIP Warren Ripley.

Thank You for your contributions to our community of interest.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:25:28 PM by Selma Hunter »

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: William Young Warren Ripley Obit
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »
   I never met Mr Ripley, but I try to re-read his book every few years. It is an absolute 'must have' for any artillery minded person. It is amazing the information he was able to gather back in the days before computers and access to so much information so easily by just a click of the mouse.
          Another great one is gone. He was definitely a pathfinder.

gflower

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:23 PM »
I met him at his home on Orange Street in Charleston when I was about 11 years old. Spent the afternoon at his home looking at his collection (which he said he was going to donate to a museum) he had photos of a winged shell found around Charleston. A great day with a great man who I kept in touch with over the years until I got to be a dumb teenager. RIP to a great iron lover. Gary Flower

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
Concur, a great collector/scholar and great resource book.  Be at peace!

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29:21 PM »
Heavens,
   I just spoke with Warren before I came to Florida.  He was a good friend and mentor with regard to ACW munitions.   Siege Train is another of his great works.
He will surely be missed.
Kind Regards,
John