Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: They don't just blow up CW ordnance!  (Read 6657 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
They don't just blow up CW ordnance!
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
I just got back from Hawaii.  Went over to Pearl Harbor and saw this.  My guess is these WWII Japanese torpedoes are way more complex, and hence dangerous, than Civil War artillery rounds for which there is no good reason to destroy 99.999% of the time.  So perhaps the partial destruction is warranted in this case.

I am ok admitting I do not know about WWII stuff.  At least there is something left to display.  Apologies for the flashback from the display case.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: They don't just blow up CW ordnance!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:25 PM »
Bunker oil still coming up regularly from the Arizona.  Some girls dropped flower petals in at the same spot and you can see the oil "bloom" among them.  They say the oil is "Survivor's Tears" and will stop flowing when the last crewmember survivor from the attack on the USS Arizona passes away.  Not sure about that because it still bubbles up quite a bit and is very noticable.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Daveslem

• Email
Re: They don't just blow up CW ordnance!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 04:59:10 PM »

Mike,

I was there in '79. Steamed right into Pearl Harbor on a merchant ship carrying a submarine nosecone and a few boats (strapped down on deck) for the military.

It's a pretty somber experience at the Arizona. A hard lesson learned for the navy.

Hawaii is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. Maybe New Zealand compares, I don't know.
Later,
Dave Slemmer