Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What Is This From?  (Read 3971 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
What Is This From?
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
Hello,

I picked up this frag at the Vicksburg Show from a guy who got it from the Mobile Bay area.  As best I can tell from its limited piece of circumference it is from a 7-inch shell.  I found it really odd.  It has a hole in what would be the base of the shell such as you'd find on a large Tennessee Sabot/Mullane for the big copper sabot's stud to fit into.  It also has a bourrelet on what would be the shell bottom edge which probably would be expected but the bourrelet would have been a complete band around the circumference of the shell.  As you can see, this bourrelet has a formed stop and appears to be like that seen on the CS Dahlgren shell where there are gaps presumably to allow the flame to pass easier.  But I don't see anything in Jack Bell's book like this.  Anyone seen such a shell before?

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 10:23:50 PM by CWArtillery »
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
Re: What Is This From?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
Carl,
  Are there threads inside the hole.   Can we have a shot of the opposite side?
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
John,

There are no threads in the hole.  It's just a smooth hole.  The other side just shows a typical powder cavity which is why I didn't show a photo of it.  Other than the burrelet anomoly it is a typical Tennessee Sabot frag.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »
Carl,
  This one has me stumped., sorry.
John